Tuesday, 17 March 2020

UNIT 129. Noun + preposition (reason for, cause of etc. ) ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 129. Noun + preposition (reason for, cause of etc. )

A
Noun+ for ...
a demand /a need FOR ...

√
The company closed down because there wasn't enough demand for its product.
There's no excuse for behaviour like that. There's no need for it.

√

a reason FOR ...

√
The train was late, but nobody knew the reason for the delay. (not reason of)
B
Noun+ of ...
an advantage / a disadvantage OF ...

√
The advantage of living alone is that you can do what you like.
but
there is an advantage in (or to) doing something

√
There are many advantages in living alone.    or ... many advantages to living alone.

a cause OF ...

√
The cause of the explosion is unknown.

a picture / a photo /a photograph /a map /a plan /a drawing (etc.) OF .. .

√
Rachel showed me some pictures of her family.
I had a map of the town, so I was able to find my way around.

√
C
Noun+ in ...
an increase /a decrease /a rise /a fall IN (prices etc.)

√
There has been an increase in the number of road accidents recently.
Last year was a bad one for the company. There was a big fall in sales.

√
D
Noun+ to ...
damage TO ...

√
The accident was my fault, so I had to pay for the damage to the other car.

an invitation TO .. . (a party /a wedding etc.)

√
Did you get an invitation to the party?

a solution TO (a problem) /a key TO (a door) /an answer TO (a question) /a reply TO (a letter) /a reaction TO ...

√
I hope we find a solution to the problem. (not a solution of the problem)
I was surprised at her reaction to my suggestion.

√

an attitude TO ... or an attitude TOWARDS ...

√
His attitude to his job is very negative.        or        His attitude towards his job ...
E
Noun+ with ... /between ...
a relationship /a connection /contact WITH ...

√
Do you have a good relationship with your parents?
The police want to question a man in connection with the robbery.

√
but
a relationship /a connection /contact /a difference BETWEEN two things or people

√
The police believe that there is no connection between the two crimes.
There are some differences between British and American English.

√

EXERCISES

129.1
Complete the second sentence so that it has the same meaning as the first.

1
What caused the explosion? What was the cause ____ of the explosion. ______
2
We're trying to solve the problem.
We're trying to find a solution _______________________________.
3
Sue gets on well with her brother.
Sue has a good relationship _______________________________.
4
The cost of living has gone up a lot.
There has been a big increase _______________________________.
5
I don't know how to answer your question.
I can't think of an answer _______________________________.
6
I don't think that a new road is necessary.
I don't think there is any need
7
I think that working at home has many advantages.
I think that there are many advantages _______________________________.
8
The number of people without jobs fell last month.
Last month there was a fall _______________________________.
9
Nobody wants to buy shoes like these any more.
There is no demand _______________________________.
10
In what way is your job different from mine?
What is the difference _______________________________.
129.2
Complete the sentences using these nouns + a preposition:

cause
connection
contact
damage
invitation
key
map
photographs
reason
reply

1
On the wall there were some pictures and a _____ map of ____ the world.
2
Thank you for the _________________ your party next week.
Since she left home two years ago, Sophie has had little _________________ her family.
I can't open this door. Do you have a _________________ the other door?
The _________________ the fire at the hotel last week is still unknown.
3
4
5
6
Did you get a _________________ the email you sent to the company?
The two companies are completely independent. There is no _________________ them.
Jane showed me some old _________________ the city as it looked 100 years ago.
Carol has decided to give up her job. I don't know her _________________ doing this.
It wasn't a bad accident. The _________________ the car wasn't serious.
7
8
9
10
129.3
Complete the sentences with the correct preposition.

1
There are some differences ___ between ______ British and American English.
2
Money isn't the solution __________ every problem.
There has been an increase __________ the amount of traffic using this road.
The advantage __________ having a car is that you don't have to rely on public transport.
There are many advantages __________ being able to speak a foreign language.
Everything can be explained. There's a reason __________ everything.
3
4
5
6
7
When Paul left home, his attitude __________ his parents seemed to change.
Ben and I used to be good friends, but I don't have much contact __________ him now.
There has been a sharp rise __________ property prices in the past few years.
What was Sarah's reaction __________ the news?
If I give you the camera, can you take a picture __________ me?
8
9
10
11
12
The company has rejected the workers' demands __________ a rise __________ pay.
What was the answer __________ question 3 in the test?
The fact that Jane was offered a job has no connection __________ the fact that she is a friend of the managing director.
13
14







ANSWER KEY


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments