Wednesday 18 March 2020

UNIT 138. Phrasal verbs 2 in/ out ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 138. Phrasal verbs 2   in/ out

A
Compare in and out:

in= into a room, a building, a car etc.
How did the thieves get in?
Here's a key, so you can let yourself in.
Lisa walked up to the edge of the pool and dived in. (=into the water)
I've got a new apartment. I'm moving in on Friday.
As soon as I got to the airport, I checked in.

In the same way you can say go in, come in, walk in, break in etc.

Compare in and into:
I'm moving in next week.
I'm moving into my new flat on Friday.
out= out of a room, building, a car etc.
He just stood up and walked out.
I had no key, so I was locked out.
She swam up and down the pool, and then climbed out.
Andy opened the window and looked out.
(at a hotel) What time do we have to check out?

In the same way you can say go out, get out, move out, let somebody out etc.

Compare out and out of:
He walked out.
He walked out of the room.
B
Other verbs+ in

drop in = visit somebody for a short time without arranging to do this

I dropped in to see Chris on my way home.

join in = take part in an activity that is already going on

They were playing cards, so I joined in.

plug in an electrical machine =connect it to the electricity supply

The fridge isn't working because you haven't plugged it in.

fill in a form, a questionnaire etc. =write the necessary information on a form

Please fill in the application form and send it to us by 28 February.
You can also say fill out a form.

take somebody in =deceive somebody

The man said he was a policeman and I believed him. I was completely taken in.
C
Other verbs+ out
eat out = eat at a restaurant, not at home

There wasn't anything to eat at home, so we decided to eat out.

drop out of college, university, a course, a race =stop before you have completely finished a course/race etc.

Gary went to university but dropped out after a year.

get out of something that you arranged to do =avoid doing it

I promised I'd go to the wedding. I don’t want to go, but I can't get out of it now.

cut something out (of a newspaper etc.)

There was a beautiful picture in the magazine, so I cut it out and kept it.

leave something out = omit it, not include it

In the sentence 'She said that she was ill', you can leave out the word 'that'.

cross something out /rub something out

Some of the names on the list had been crossed out.







EXERCISES

138.1
Complete the sentences using a verb in the correct form.

1
Here's a key so that you can ____ let _____ yourself in.
2
Liz doesn't like cooking, so she _________ out a lot
Amy isn't living in this apartment any more. She _________ out a few weeks ago.
If you're in our part of town, you should _________ in and say hello.
When I _________ in at the airport, I was told my flight would be delayed.
3
4
5
6
There was an article in the paper that I wanted to keep, so I _________ it out.
I wanted to iron some clothes, but there was nowhere to _________ the iron in.
I hate _________ in questionnaires.
Steve was upset because he'd been _________ out of the team.
Be careful! The water's not very deep here, so don't _________ In.
7
8
9
10
11
If you write in pencil and you make a mistake, you can _________ it out.
Paul started doing a Spanish course, but he _________ out after a few weeks.
12
138.2
Complete the sentences with in, into, out or out of.

1
I've got a new flat I'm moving ___ in _____on Friday.
2
We checked _________ the hotel as soon as we arrived.
As soon as we arrived at the hotel, we checked _________.
The car stopped and the driver got _________.
Thieves broke _________ the house while we were away.
Why did Sarah drop _________ college? Did she fail her exams?
3
4
5
6
138.3
Complete the sentences using a verb+ in or out (of).

1
Lisa walked to the edge of the pool, ____ dived in _____ and swam to the other end.
2
Not all the runners finished the race. Three of them _________.
I went to see Joe and Sophie in their new house. They _________ last week.
I've told you everything you need to know. I don't think I've _________ anything.
3
4
5
Some people in the crowd started singing. Then a few more people _________ and soon everybody was singing.
6
We go to restaurants a lot. We like _________.
Don't be _________ by him. If I were you, I wouldn't believe anything he says.
I _________ to see Laura a few days ago. She was fine.
A: Can we meet tomorrow morning at 10?
B: Probably. I'm supposed to go to another meeting, but I think I can _________ it.
7
8
9
138.4
Complete the sentences. Use the word in brackets in the correct form.

1
A: The fridge isn't working.
B: That Is because you haven’t _____ plugged it in _____. (plug)
2
A: What do I have to do with these forms?
B:______________ and send them to this address. (fill)
3
A: I've made a mistake on this form.
B: That's all right. Just ______________ and correct it. (cross)
4
A: Did you believe the story they told you?
B: Yes, I'm afraid they completely ______________. (take)
5
A: Have you been to that new club in Bridge Street?
B: We wanted to go there a few nights ago, but they wouldn't ______________ because we weren't members. (let)





ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments