Saturday 14 March 2020

UNIT 113. Although/ though/ even though In spite of/ despite ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 113. Although/ though/ even though
In spite of/ despite

A
Study this example situation:

Last year Paul and Sarah had a holiday by the sea. It rained a lot, but they enjoyed it. You can say:

Although it rained a lot, they enjoyed it. (= It rained a lot, but they ... )

B
After although we use a subject+ verb:

Although it rained a lot, we enjoyed our holiday.
I didn't get the job although I had the necessary qualifications.


Compare the meaning of although and because:

We went out although it was raining heavily.
We didn't go out because it was raining heavily.

C

After in spite of or despite, we use a noun, a pronoun (this/that/what etc.) or -ing

In spite of the rain, we enjoyed our holiday.
I didn't get the job in spite of having the necessary qualifications.
She wasn't well, but in spite of this she continued working.
In spite of what I said yesterday, I still love you.




Despite is the same as in spite of. We say in spite of, but despite (without of):

She wasn't well, but despite this she continued working. (not despite of this)

You can say in spite of the fact (that) ... and despite the fact (that) ... :


Compare in spite of and because of:

We went out in spite of the rain. (or ... despite the rain.)
We didn't go out because of the rain.

D

Compare although and in spite of /despite:




E
Though is the same as although:

I didn't get the job though I had the necessary qualifications.

In spoken English we often use though at the end of a sentence:

The house isn't so nice. I like the garden though. (=but I like the garden)
I see them every day. I've never spoken to them though. (= but I've never spoken to them)


Even though (but not 'even' alone) is a stronger form of although:

Even though I was really tired, I couldn't sleep. (not Even I was really tired ... )

EXERCISES

113.1
Complete the sentences. Use although + a sentence from the box.


1
_____Although he has a very important job_______, he isn't particularly well-paid.
2
__________________________________, I recognised her from a photograph.
She wasn't wearing a coat __________________________________.
We thought we'd better invite them to the party __________________________________.
__________________________________, I managed to make myself understood.
3
4
5
6
__________________________________, the room wasn't warm.
I didn't recognise her __________________________________.
We're not very good friends __________________________________.
7
8
113.2
Complete the sentences with although /in spite of /because /because of.

1
______ Although_____  1t rained a lot, we enjoyed our holiday.
2
a. __________________ all our careful plans, a lot of things went wrong.
b. __________________ we'd planned everything carefully, a lot of things went wrong.
3
a. I went home early __________________ I was feeling unwell.
b. I went to work the next day __________________ I was still feeling unwell.
4
a. She only accepted the job __________________ the salary, which was very high.
b. She accepted the job __________________ the salary, which was rather low.
5
a. I managed to get to sleep __________________ there was a lot of noise.
b. I couldn't get to sleep __________________ the noise.

Use your own ideas to complete the following sentences:
6
a. He passed the exam although __________________.
b. He passed the exam because __________________.
7
a. I didn't eat anything although __________________.
b. I didn't eat anything in spite of __________________.
113.3
Make one sentence from two. Use the word(s) in brackets in your sentences.

1
I couldn't sleep. I was very tired. (despite)
_____ I couldn’t sleep despite being very tired. ___________
2
They have very little money. They are happy. (in spite of)
In spite _______________________________________________
3
My foot was injured. I managed to walk home. (although)
_______________________________________________
4
I enjoyed the film. The story was silly. (in spite of)
________________________________________
5
We live in the same street. We hardly ever see each other. (despite)
_______________________________________________
6
I got very wet in the rain. I was only out for five minutes. (even though)
_______________________________________________
113.4
Use the words in brackets to make a sentence with though at the end.

1
The house isn't very nice. (like I garden) _____ I like the garden though _______.
2
It’s warm today. (very windy) ______________________.
We didn't like the food. (ate) ______________________.
Liz is very nice. (don't like /husband) I ______________________.
3
4



ANSWER KEY


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments