Tuesday, 17 March 2020

UNIT 132. Verb + preposition 1 to and at ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 132. Verb + preposition 1     to and at

A
Verb+ to
Talk /speak TO somebody (with is also possible but less usual)

√
Who was that man you were talking to?

Listen TO ...

√
We spent the evening listening to music. (not listening music)

apologise TO somebody (for ...)

√
They apologised to me for what happened. (not They apologised me)

explain something TO somebody

√
Can you explain this word to me? (not explain me this word)

explain /describe (to somebody) what/how/why ...

√
I explained to them why I was worried. (not I explained them)
Let me describe to you what I saw. (not Let me describe you)

√
B
We do not use to with these verbs:
phone /call /email /text somebody

√
I called the airline to cancel my flight. (not called to the airline)
but write (a letter) to somebody

answer somebody/something

√
He refused to answer my question. (not answer to my question)
but reply to an email I a letter etc.

ask somebody

√
Can I ask you a question? (not ask to you)

thank somebody (for something)

√
He thanked me for helping him. (not He thanked to me)
C
Verb + at
Look /stare /glance AT .. . , have a look /take a look AT ...

√
Why are you looking at me like that ?

laugh AT .. .

√
I look stupid with this haircut. Everybody will laugh at me.

aim /point (something) AT ... , shoot /fire (a gun) AT ...

√
Don't point that knife at me. It’s dangerous.
We saw someone with a gun shooting at birds, but he didn't hit any.

√
D
Some verbs can be followed by at or to, with a difference in meaning. For example:

shout AT somebody (when you are angry)

√
He got very angry and started shouting at me.

shout TO somebody (so that they can hear you)

√
He shouted to me from the other side of the street.

throw something AT somebody/something (in order to hit them)

√
Somebody threw an egg at the minister.

throw something TO somebody (for somebody to catch)

√
Lisa shouted 'Catch!' and threw the keys to me from the window.



EXERCISES

132.1
Which is correct?

132,2
Complete the sentences. Use these verbs + the correct preposition:

explain
laugh
listen
look
point
reply
speak
throw
throw


1
I look stupid with this haircut. Everybody will ____ laugh at _______ me.
2
I don’t understand this. Can you _____ explain______ me?
3
Sue and Kevin had an argument and now they're refusing to ______________ each other.
Be careful with those scissors! Don't ______________ them ______________ me!
I'm not sure where we are. I'll have to ______________ the map.
Please ______________ me! I’ve got something important to tell you.
4
5
6
7
Don't ______________ stones ______________ the birds! it's cruel.
If you don't want that sandwich, ______________ it ______________ the birds. They'll eat it.
I tried to contact Tina, but she didn’t ______________ my emails.
8
9
132.3
Put in to or at.

1
They apologised ___ to ___ me for what happened.
2
I glanced ____________ my watch to see what time it was.
Please don’t shout ____________ me! Try to calm down.
I saw Sue as I was cycling along the road. I shouted ____________ her, but she didn't hear me.
Don't listen ____________ what he says. He doesn't know what he's talking about.
What's so funny? What are you laughing ____________?
3
4
5
6
7
Could I have a look ____________ your magazine, please?
I’m lonely. I need somebody to talk ____________.
She was so angry she threw a book ____________ the wall.
The woman sitting opposite me on the train kept staring ____________ me.
Can I speak ____________ you a moment? There's something I want to ask you.
8
9
10
11







ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments