Tuesday, 17 March 2020

UNIT 127. In/ on/ at (other uses) ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 127. In/ on/ at (other uses)

A
In
in the rain /in the sun /in the shade /in the dark /in bad weather etc.

√
We sat in the shade. It was too hot to sit in the sun.
Don't go out in the rain. Wait until it stops.

√

(write) in ink /in pen /in pencil

√
When you do the exam, you're not allowed to write in pencil.

Also (write) in words /in figures /in capital letters etc.

√
Please write your name in capital letters.
Write the story in your own words. (=don't copy somebody else)

√

(be/fall) in love (with somebody)

√
They're very happy together. They're in love.

in (my) opinion

√
In my opinion, the movie wasn't very good.
B
On
on TV /on television /on the radio

√
I didn't watch the news on television, but I heard it on the radio.

on the phone

√
I've never met her, but I've spoken to her on the phone a few times.

(be/go) on strike

√
There are no trains today. The drivers are on strike.

(be/go) on a diet

√
I've put on a lot of weight. I'll have to go on a diet.

(be) on fire

√
Look! That car is on fire.

on the whole(= in general)

√
Sometimes I have problems at work, but on the whole I enjoy my job.

on purpose(= intentionally)

√
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to annoy you. I didn't do it on purpose.
C
On holiday /on a trip etc.
We say: (be/go) on holiday /on business /on a trip /on a tour /on a cruise etc.

√
I'm going on holiday next week.
Emma's away on business at the moment.
One day I'd like to go on a world tour.

√

√

You can also say 'go to a place for a holiday /for my holiday(s)':

√
Steve has gone to France for a holiday.
D
At the age of ... etc.
We say at the age of 16 /at 120 miles an hour /at 100 degrees etc. :

√
Tracy left school at 16   ... or ... at the age of 16.
The train was travelling at 120 miles an hour.
Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius.

√

√



EXERCISES

127.1
Complete the sentences using in +the following:
capital letters
cold weather
love
my opinion
pencil
the rain
the shade


1
Don't go out ____ in the rain _____. Wait until it stops.
2
Matt likes to keep warm, so he doesn't go out much __________________.
If you write __________________and make a mistake, you can rub it out and correct it.
They fell __________________almost immediately and were married in a few weeks.
Please write your address clearly, preferably __________________
It's too hot in the sun. I'm going to sit __________________.
Amanda thought the restaurant was OK, but __________________it wasn't very good.
3
4
5
6
7
127.2
Complete the sentences using on +the following:
business
a diet
fire
holiday
the phone
purpose
strike
TV
a tour
the whole

1
Look! That car is ____ on fire ____! Somebody call the fire brigade.
2
Workers at the factory have gone ______________ for better pay and conditions.
Soon after we arrived, we were taken ______________ of the city.
I feel lazy this evening. Is there anything worth watching ______________?
I'm sorry. It was an accident. I didn't do it ______________.
Richard has put on a lot of weight recently. I think he should go ______________.
Jane's job involves a lot of travelling. She often has to go away ______________.
3
4
5
6
7
8
A: I'm going ______________ next week.
B: Where are you going? Somewhere nice?
9
A: Is Sarah here?
B: Yes, but she's ______________ at the moment. She won't be long.
10
A: How was your exam?
B: Well, there were some difficult questions, but ______________ it was OK.
127.3
Complete the sentences with in, on or at.

1
Water boils ____ at ______ degrees Celsius.
2
When I was 14, I went _________ a trip to France organised by my school.
There was panic when people realised that the building was _________ fire.
Julia's grandmother died recently _________ the age of 79.
Can you turn the light on, please? I don't want to sit _________ the dark.
We didn't go _________ holiday last year. We stayed at home.
I hate driving _________ fog. You can't see anything.
3
4
5
6
7
8
I won't be here next week. I'll be _________ holiday.
Technology has developed _________ great speed.
Alan got married _________ 17, which is rather young to get married.
I heard an interesting programme _________ the radio this morning.
_________ my opinion, violent films should not be shown _________ television.
9
10
11
12
13
I wouldn't like to go _________ a cruise. I think I'd get bored.
I shouldn't eat too much. I'm supposed to be _________ a diet.
I wouldn't like his job. He spends most of his time talking _________ the phone.
The earth travels round the sun _________ 107,000 kilometres an hour.
‘Did you enjoy your holiday?' ‘Not every minute, but _________ the whole, yes.'
A lot of houses were damaged _________ the storm last week.
14
15
16
17
18





ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments