Tuesday 17 March 2020

UNIT 127. In/ on/ at (other uses) ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 127. In/ on/ at (other uses)

A
In
in the rain /in the sun /in the shade /in the dark /in bad weather etc.

We sat in the shade. It was too hot to sit in the sun.
Don't go out in the rain. Wait until it stops.


(write) in ink /in pen /in pencil

When you do the exam, you're not allowed to write in pencil.

Also (write) in words /in figures /in capital letters etc.

Please write your name in capital letters.
Write the story in your own words. (=don't copy somebody else)


(be/fall) in love (with somebody)

They're very happy together. They're in love.

in (my) opinion

In my opinion, the movie wasn't very good.
B
On
on TV /on television /on the radio

I didn't watch the news on television, but I heard it on the radio.

on the phone

I've never met her, but I've spoken to her on the phone a few times.

(be/go) on strike

There are no trains today. The drivers are on strike.

(be/go) on a diet

I've put on a lot of weight. I'll have to go on a diet.

(be) on fire

Look! That car is on fire.

on the whole(= in general)

Sometimes I have problems at work, but on the whole I enjoy my job.

on purpose(= intentionally)

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to annoy you. I didn't do it on purpose.
C
On holiday /on a trip etc.
We say: (be/go) on holiday /on business /on a trip /on a tour /on a cruise etc.

I'm going on holiday next week.
Emma's away on business at the moment.
One day I'd like to go on a world tour.



You can also say 'go to a place for a holiday /for my holiday(s)':

Steve has gone to France for a holiday.
D
At the age of ... etc.
We say at the age of 16 /at 120 miles an hour /at 100 degrees etc. :

Tracy left school at 16   ... or ... at the age of 16.
The train was travelling at 120 miles an hour.
Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius.





EXERCISES

127.1
Complete the sentences using in +the following:
capital letters
cold weather
love
my opinion
pencil
the rain
the shade


1
Don't go out ____ in the rain _____. Wait until it stops.
2
Matt likes to keep warm, so he doesn't go out much __________________.
If you write __________________and make a mistake, you can rub it out and correct it.
They fell __________________almost immediately and were married in a few weeks.
Please write your address clearly, preferably __________________
It's too hot in the sun. I'm going to sit __________________.
Amanda thought the restaurant was OK, but __________________it wasn't very good.
3
4
5
6
7
127.2
Complete the sentences using on +the following:
business
a diet
fire
holiday
the phone
purpose
strike
TV
a tour
the whole

1
Look! That car is ____ on fire ____! Somebody call the fire brigade.
2
Workers at the factory have gone ______________ for better pay and conditions.
Soon after we arrived, we were taken ______________ of the city.
I feel lazy this evening. Is there anything worth watching ______________?
I'm sorry. It was an accident. I didn't do it ______________.
Richard has put on a lot of weight recently. I think he should go ______________.
Jane's job involves a lot of travelling. She often has to go away ______________.
3
4
5
6
7
8
A: I'm going ______________ next week.
B: Where are you going? Somewhere nice?
9
A: Is Sarah here?
B: Yes, but she's ______________ at the moment. She won't be long.
10
A: How was your exam?
B: Well, there were some difficult questions, but ______________ it was OK.
127.3
Complete the sentences with in, on or at.

1
Water boils ____ at ______ degrees Celsius.
2
When I was 14, I went _________ a trip to France organised by my school.
There was panic when people realised that the building was _________ fire.
Julia's grandmother died recently _________ the age of 79.
Can you turn the light on, please? I don't want to sit _________ the dark.
We didn't go _________ holiday last year. We stayed at home.
I hate driving _________ fog. You can't see anything.
3
4
5
6
7
8
I won't be here next week. I'll be _________ holiday.
Technology has developed _________ great speed.
Alan got married _________ 17, which is rather young to get married.
I heard an interesting programme _________ the radio this morning.
_________ my opinion, violent films should not be shown _________ television.
9
10
11
12
13
I wouldn't like to go _________ a cruise. I think I'd get bored.
I shouldn't eat too much. I'm supposed to be _________ a diet.
I wouldn't like his job. He spends most of his time talking _________ the phone.
The earth travels round the sun _________ 107,000 kilometres an hour.
‘Did you enjoy your holiday?' ‘Not every minute, but _________ the whole, yes.'
A lot of houses were damaged _________ the storm last week.
14
15
16
17
18





ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments