Wednesday, 18 March 2020

UNIT 136. Verb + preposition 5 in/ into/ with/ to/ on ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 136. Verb + preposition 5     in/ into/ with/ to/ on

A
Verb+ in
believe IN ..

√
Do you believe in God? (=Do you believe that God exists?)
I believe in saying what I think. (= I believe it is right to say what I think)

√

but believe something(= believe it is true), believe somebody(= believe they are telling the truth)

√
The story can’t be true. I don’t believe it. (not believe in it)

specialise IN ...

√
Helen is a lawyer. She specialises in company law.

succeed IN ...

√
I hope you succeed in finding the job you want.
B
Verb+ into
break INTO ...

√
Our house was broken into a few days ago, but nothing was stolen.

crash /drive /bump /run INTO ...

√
He lost control of the car and crashed into a wall.

divide /cut /split something INTO two or more parts

√
The book is divided into three parts.

translate a book etc. FROM one language INTO another

√
She’s a famous writer. Her books have been translated into many languages.
C
Verb+ with
collide WITH ...

√
There was an accident this morning. A bus collided with a car.

fill something WITH …. (but full of …..)

√
Take this saucepan and fill it with water.

provide /supply somebody WITH ...

√
The school provides all its students with books.
D
Verb+ to
happen TO ...

√
What happened to that gold watch you used to have? (= where is it now?)

invite somebody TO a party /a wedding etc.

√
They only invited a few people to their wedding.

prefer one thing/person TO another

√
I prefer tea to coffee.
E
Verb+ on
concentrate ON ...

√
I tried to concentrate on my work, but I kept thinking about other things.

insist ON ...

√
I wanted to go alone, but some friends of mine insisted on coming with me.

spend (money) ON ...

√
How much do you spend on food each week?



EXERCISES

136.1
Complete the sentences using these verbs (in the correct form) +a preposition:

believe
concentrate
divide
drive
fill
happen
insist
invite
succeed


1
I wanted to go alone, but my friends _____ insisted on _____ coming with me.
2
I haven't seen Mike for ages. I wonder what has ______________ him.
We've been ______________ the party, but unfortunately we can't go.
It's a very large house. It's ______________ four apartments.
I don't ______________ ghosts. I think people imagine that they see them.
Steve gave me an empty bucket and told me to ______________ it ______________ water.
3
4
5
6
7

I was driving along when the car in front stopped suddenly. I couldn't stop in time and ______________ the back of it.
Don't try and do two things together______________ one thing at a time.
It wasn't easy, but in the end we ______________ finding a solution to the problem.
8
9
136.2
Complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first.

1
There was a collision between a bus and a car.
A bus collided ____ with a car _________.
2
I don't mind big cities, but I prefer small towns.
I prefer _______________________________________________.
3
I got all the information I needed from Jane.
Jane provided me _______________________________________________.
4
This morning I bought a pair of shoes which cost £70.
This morning I spent _______________________________________________.
5
There are ten districts in the city.
The city is divided _______________________________________________.
136.3
Put in the correct preposition. If the sentence is already complete, Leave the space empty.

1
The school provides all its students ____ with ____ books.
2
A strange thing happened ________ me a few days ago.
Mark decided to give up sport to concentrate ________ his studies.
Money should be used well. I don't believe ________ wasting it.
My present job isn't wonderful, but I prefer it ________ what I did before.
I hope you succeed ________ getting what you want.
As I was coming out of the room, I collided ________ somebody who was coming in.
3
4
5
6
7
8
There was an awful noise as the car crashed ________ a tree.
Patrick is a photographer. He specialises ________ sports photography.
Do you spend a lot of money ________ clothes?
I was amazed when Joe walked into the room. I couldn't believe ________ it.
Somebody broke ________ my car and stole the radio.
I was quite cold, but Tom insisted ________ having the window open.
9
10
11
12
13
14
The teacher decided to split the class ________ four groups.
I filled the tank, but unfortunately I filled it .... ________ the wrong kind of petrol.
Some words are difficult to translate ________ one language ________ another.
15
16
136.4
Use your own ideas to complete these sentences. Use a preposition.

1
I wanted to go out alone, but my friend insisted ____ on coming with me. ______________
2
I spend a lot of money __________________________________.
I saw the accident. The car crashed __________________________________.
Chris prefers basketball __________________________________.
The restaurant we went to specialises __________________________________.
Shakespeare's plays have been translated __________________________________.
3
4
5
6





ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments