Sunday 15 March 2020

UNIT 117. Like and as ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 117. Like and as

A
Like= 'similar to', 'the same as'. You cannot use as in this way:

What a beautiful house! It’s like a palace. (not as a palace)
'What does Sandra do?' 'She's a teacher, like me.' (not as me)
Be careful! The floor has been polished. It’s like walking on ice. (not as walking)
It's raining again. I hate weather like this. (not as this)




In these sentences, like is a preposition. So it is followed by a noun (like a palace), a pronoun (like me /like this) or -ing (like walking).
You can also say' ... like (somebody/something) doing something':

'What's that noise?' 'It sounds like a baby crying.'

Sometimes like= for example:

I enjoy water sports, like surfing, scuba diving and water-skiing.

You can also use such as (=for example):

I enjoy water sports, such as surfing, scuba diving and water-skiing.
B

As = in the same way as, or in the same condition as. We use as before subject+ verb:

I didn't move anything. I left everything as it was.
You should have done it as I showed you.


We also use like in this way:

I left everything like it was.

Compare as and like:

You should have done it as I showed you.       or ... like I showed you.
You should have done it like this. (not as this)


Note that we say as usual /as always:

You're late as usual.
As always, Nick was the first to complain.

C

Sometimes as(+ subject+ verb) has other meanings. For example, after do:

You can do as you like. (=do what you like)
They did as they promised. (=They did what they promised.)


We also say as you know /as I said /as she expected /as I thought etc. :

As you know, it's Emma's birthday next week. (=you know this already)
Andy failed his driving test, as he expected. (=he expected this before)


like is not usual in these expressions, except with say (like I said):

As I said yesterday, I'm sure we can solve the problem. or like I said yesterday ...
D

As can also be a preposition, but the meaning is different from like.
Compare:
As a taxi driver, I spend most of my working life in a car.
(I am a taxi driver, that is my job)
Everyone wants me to drive them to places. I'm like a taxi driver.
(I 'm not a taxi driver, but I'm like one)

As (preposition) = in the position of, in the form of etc. :

Many years ago I worked as a photographer. (not like a photographer)
Many words, for example 'work' and 'rain', can be used as verbs or nouns.
London is fine as a place to visit, but I wouldn't like to live there.
The news of the tragedy came as a great shock.






EXERCISES

117.1
In some of these sentences, you need like (not as). Correct the sentences where necessary.

1
It’s raining again. I hate weather as this.
___weather like this_____
2
Andy failed his driving test, as he expected.
Do you think Lisa looks as her mother?
Tim gets on my nerves. I can't stand people as him.
Why didn't you do it as I told you to do it?
Brian is a student, as most of his friends.
_____OK _____________
3
______________________
4
______________________
5
______________________
6
______________________
7
You never listen. Talking to you is as talking to the wall.
______________________
8
As I said before, I'm thinking of changing my job.
Tom's idea seems a good one. Let's do as he suggests.
I'll phone you tomorrow as usual, OK?
Suddenly there was a terrible noise. It was as a bomb exploding.
She's a very good swimmer. She swims as a fish.
______________________
9
______________________
10
______________________
11
______________________
12
______________________
117.2
Complete the sentences using like or as+ the following:
a beginner
blocks of ice
a palace
a birthday present
a child
a theatre
winter
a tour guide

1
This house is beautiful. it's ______ like a palace _______.
2
My feet are really cold. They're ___________________________.
I've been playing tennis for years, but I still play ___________________________.
Marion once had a part-time job ___________________________.
I wonder what that building is. It looks ___________________________.
3
4
5
6
My brother gave me this watch ___________________________a long time ago.
It's very cold for the middle of summer. It's ___________________________.
He's 22 years old, but he sometimes behaves ___________________________.
7
8
117.3
Put in like or as. Sometimes either word is possible.

1
We heard a noise ____ like _____ a baby crying.
Your English is very fluent. I wish I could speak _______ you.
Don't take my advice if you don't want to. You can do _______ you like.
You waste too much time doing things _______ sitting in cafes all day.
I wish I had a car _______ yours.
You don't need to change clothes. You can go out _______ you are.
My neighbour's house is full of interesting things. it's _______ a museum.
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
We saw Kevin last night. He was very cheerful, _______ always.
Sally has been working _______ a waitress for the last two months.
In several countries in Asia, _______ Japan, Indonesia and Thailand, traffic drives on the left.
You're different from the other people I know. I don 't know anyone else _______ you.
We don't need all the bedrooms in the house, so we use one of them _______ a study.
The news that Sarah and Gary were getting married came _______ a complete surprise to me.
_______ her father, Catherine has a very good voice.
9
10
11
12
13
14
15

At the moment I've got a temporary job in a bookshop. it's not great, but it's OK _______  a temporary job.
_______ you can imagine, we were very tired after such a long journey.
17 This tea is awful. lt tastes _______ water.
18 I think I prefer this room _______ it was, before we decorated it.
16
17
18





ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments