Friday 17 April 2020

1. Money – the basics CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR LAW


CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR LAW
1. Money – the basics

A. Put the correct word in each space.

account
back
banknotes
borrowed
change
coin
currency
earn
lent
note
salary
spend
sum
wages
waste
win



1
In the USA, "quarters" (25 cents) and "dimes" (10 cents) are types of _______________.
In the United Kingdom, "a tenner" means a ten pound _______________.
The US dollar, the Yen and the Euro are types of _______________.
Hundred dollar bills and twenty pound notes are _______________.
2,000,000 Swiss francs is a large _______________ of money.
2
3
4
5
6
I need to _______________ some Euros into Australian dollars.
My friend _______________ a hundred pounds from me.
I _______________ a hundred pounds to my friend. When she can, she'll pay me _______________
I buy a lottery ticket every week, but I never _______________ anything.
Most dentists _______________ at least £30,000 a year.
7
8
9
10
11
__________ are paid to employees weekly. _______________ are paid to employees monthly.
In business, you have to _______________ money to make money.
A: Do you have a bank _______________?
B: Yes. I bank with the Bank of Scotland.
In my opinion, eating in expensive restaurants is a _______________ of money.
12
13

14

B. Match the words on the left with the words on the right.

1
a small
an income
donate
high
make
pay by
pay in
winners and

a
a profit
amount of money
cash
cost of living
credit card
losers
money to charity
of £25,000 a year
2

b
3

c
4

d
5

e
6

f
7

g
8

h

C. Choose the correct word.

1
Spain now uses the euro. Pesetas are no longer ____________.
A
good money
B
legal money
C
legal tender
2
I bought a TV which doesn't work. I'll take it back to the shop to get ___________.
A
my money returned
B
a refund
C
payment ticket
3
In a shop, to get a refund, you usually have to show the ___________.
A
receipt
B
recipe
C
payment ticket
4
I'm paying for my new car in 36 monthly __________.
A
instalments
B
pieces
C
parts
5
I earn a lot of money, but I have a lot of _________.
A
payouts
B
expenses
C
paying
6
Famous paintings are usually sold by __________.
A
bid
B
highest price
C
auction
7
In an auction, the item is sold to the person who makes the highest __________.
A
bid
B
price
C
offer
8
In Japan, the US dollar is __________ .
A
foreign money
B
strange money
C
a foreign currency
9
In Britain, it's not usual to discuss your personal __________
A
money
B
finances
C
money arrangements
10
You can _________ a house and __________ a car.
A
hire/rent
B
hire/hire
C
rent/ rent or hire
11
Here's the fifty dollars I __________.
A
owe you
B
pay you back
C
must return
12
The best things in life are __________.
A
free
B
not for sale
C
not brought and sold

D. Find the opposites of these words in the grid.

1
spender / _______________
borrower / _______________
winnings / _______________
losses / _______________
high prices / _______________ prices
sellers / _______________
2
3
4
5
6




ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments