Tuesday 14 April 2020

SECTION 2: SOFTWARE 2.1 Software: the basics CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR COMPUTER AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY


CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY
FOR COMPUTER AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
SECTION 2: SOFTWARE
2.1 Software: the basics

A. Choose the correct word to fill the spaces.

1
Turn on your computer. It will usually take a few minutes to __________.
A
boot itself
B
boot up
C
get booted
2
Windows XP, Macintosh OSX and Linux are __________.
A
operating systems
B
operating tools
C
operators
3
On my computer, I have a picture of my cat as the __________.
A
desktop background
B
desktop picture
C
desktop scene
4
Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat and CorelDraw are programs or __________.
A
applicators
B
appliers
C
applications
5
To open Microsoft Word, click on the __________.
A
picture
B
symbol
C
icon
6
I keep all my digital photos in a __________ called "Photos".
A
folder
B
packet
C
box
7
Is it possible to open Microsoft Excel __________ in Word?
A
texts
B
files
C
pages
8
In Microsoft Word, to start typing a new letter, open a new ___________.
A
document
B
page
C
paper
9
When you __________ a document, it's sent to the recycle bin.
A
destroy
B
erase
C
delete
10
Deleted documents stay in the recycle bin until you __________ it.
A
wash
B
empty
C
clean
11
In Windows, the icon is just a __________ to the application. If you delete the icon, the application will still be on your computer.
A
connector
B
shortcut
C
link
12
If the computer crashes, you can try pressing the __________ button.
A
restart
B
recommence
C
replay
13
When I've finished using my computer, I always __________.
A
close it down
B
shut it down
C
shut it off
14
If I leave my computer on without using it, after a while it goes into __________ mode.
A
stand down
B
waiting
C
standby

B. Insert the missing words.

close
drag and drop
find
free up
installed
launch
password
renamed
running
save
search
start menu
uninstalling
user
window

1
I couldn't open the document you emailed me. I don't have Microsoft Word ____________ on my computer.
2
Click on that icon to ____________ Internet Explorer.
3
I ____________ an important document, and now I can't find it.
4
If your computer is ____________ several applications at the same time, it's more likely to crash. It's better to ____________ the applications. you're not using.
5
You can access all the applications on your computer from the ___________.
6
You can view two Word documents on the screen at the same time. You just open a new ____________.
7
7. It's easy to move files into a folder. You can just ____________.
8
I asked the computer to ____________ for files with "English" in the name, but it didn't ____________ any.
9
This is a shared computer. Each ____________ has their own ____________.
10
You can ____________ space on your hard drive by ____________ applications you never use.
11
If you ____________ your photos as JPEGs instead of TIFFs, you'll use a lot less memory.

ANSWER KEY
2.1 Software: the basics

A: 1 b, 2 a, 3 a, 4 c, 5 c, 6 a, 7 b, 8 a, 9 c, 10 b, 11 b, 12 a, 13 b, 14 c

B: 1 installed, 2 launch, 3 renamed, 4 running / close, 5 start menu, 6 window, 7 drag and drop,
8 search /find, 9 user / password, 10 free up / uninstalling, 11 save

3 comments:

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments