Thursday, 12 March 2020

UNIT 104. Quite, pretty, rather and fairly ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 104. Quite, pretty, rather and fairly

A
You can use quite/pretty/rather/fairly+ adjectives or adverbs. So you can say:
It’s quite cold
It’s pretty cold
It’s rather cold
It’s fairly cold

Quite/pretty/rather/fairly= less than 'very' but more than 'a little'.
B
Quite and pretty are similar in meaning:

√
I'm surprised you haven't heard of her. She's quite famous I pretty famous. (=less than 'very famous', but more than 'a little famous')

√
Anna lives quite near me, so we see each other pretty often.

Pretty is an informal word and is used mainly in spoken English.
Quite goes before a/an:

√
We live in quite an old house. (not a quite old house)

Compare:

√
Sarah has quite a good job.
Sarah has a pretty good job.

You can also use quite (but not pretty) in the following ways:
quite a/an+ noun (without an adjective):

√
I didn't expect to see them. It was quite a surprise. (=quite a big surprise)

quite a lot (of ... ):

√
There were quite a lot of people at the meeting.

quite+ verb, especially like and enjoy:

√
I quite like tennis, but it's not my favourite sport.
C
Rather is similar to quite and pretty. We often use rather for negative ideas (things we think are not good)

√
The weather isn't so good. It's rather cloudy.
Paul is rather shy. He doesn't talk very much.

√

Quite and pretty are also possible in these examples.

When we use rather for positive ideas (good/nice etc.), it means 'unusually' or 'surprisingly':

√
These oranges are rather good. Where did you get them?
D
Fairly is weaker than quite/rather/pretty. For example, if something is fairly good, it is not very good and it could be better:

√
My room is fairly big, but I'd prefer a bigger one.
We see each other fairly often, but not as often as we used to.

√
E
Quite also means 'completely'. For example:

√
'Are you sure?'              'Yes, quite sure.' (= completely sure)

Quite means 'completely' with a number of adjectives, especially:
sure
right
true
clear
different
incredible
amazing
certain
wrong
safe
obvious
unnecessary
extraordinary
impossible



√
She was quite different from what I expected. (= completely different)
Everything they said was quite true. (= completely true)

√

We also use quite (= completely) with some verbs. For example:

√
I quite agree with you. (= I completely agree)

Not quite: not completely.

√
They haven’t quite finished eating yet.
I don't quite understand what you mean.
'Are you ready yet?' 'Not quite.' (= not completely)

√

√

EXERCISES

104.1
Complete the sentences using quite + the following.

famous
good
hungry
late
noisy
often
old
surprised

1
I'm surprised you haven't heard of her. She's _____ quite famous. _______________
2
I'm _______________________________. Is there anything to eat?
'How were the pictures you took?' _______________________________. Better than usual.'
I go to the cinema _______________________________ -maybe once a month.
We live near a very busy road, so it's often _______________________________.
3
4
5
6
I didn't expect Laura to contact me. I was _______________________________ when she phoned.
I went to bed _______________________________ last night, so I'm a bit tired this morning.
I don't know exactly when these houses were built, but they're _______________________________.
7
8
104.2
Put the words in the right order to complete the sentences.

1
The weather was better than we had expected.
It was _________________ quite a nice day _____________ (a /nice /quite /day).
2
Tom likes to sing.
He has _____________________________________ (voice /quite /good /a).
3
The bus stop wasn't very near the hotel.
We had to walk _____________________________________  (quite /way /a /long).
4
It's not so warm today.
There's _____________________________________  (a /wind /cold /pretty).
5
The journey took longer than I expected.
There was _____________________________________  (lot /traffic /a /of /quite).
6
I'm tired.
I've had _____________________________________  (pretty /day /a /busy).
104.3
Use your own ideas to complete these sentences. Use rather+ adjective.

1
The weather isn't so good. It's _____ rather cloudy_____.
2
I enjoyed the film, but it was ____________________.
The hotel we stayed at wasn't very good. I was ____________________.
I think it's ____________________that Chris went away without telling anybody.
Lucy doesn't like having to wait. Sometimes she's ____________________.
3
4
5
104.4
What does quite mean in these sentences? Tick ( √ ) the right meaning.



more than a little, less than very (5ection B)
completely
(Section E)
1
It's quite cold. You'd better wear your coat.
√
___________________
2
'Are you sure?' 'Yes, quite sure.'
___________________
√
3
Anna's English is quite good.
___________________
___________________
4
I couldn't believe it. It was quite incredible.
___________________
___________________
5
My bedroom is quite big.
___________________
___________________
6
I'm quite tired. I think I'll go to bed.
___________________
___________________
7
I quite agree with you.
___________________
___________________
104.5
Complete these sentences using quite+ the following:

different
impossible
right
safe
sure
true
unnecessary




1
I didn't believe her at first, but in fact what she said was ____ quite true. _________
2
You won't fall. The ladder is __________________.
I'm afraid I can't do what you ask. It's __________________.
I couldn't agree with you more. You are __________________.
You can't compare the two things. They are __________________.
You needn't have done that. It was __________________.
I think I saw them go out, but I'm not __________________.
3
4
5
6
7

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments