Thursday 12 March 2020

UNIT 107. Comparison 3 (as … as/ than) ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 107. Comparison 3 (as … as/ than)

A
Study this example situation:

Sarah, Joe and David are all very rich. Sarah has $20 million, Joe has $15 million and David has $10 million. So:

Joe is rich.

He is richer than David.

But he isn't as rich as Sarah.
(= Sarah is richer than he is)

Some more examples of not as ... (as):

Jack isn't as old as he looks. (= he looks older than he is)
The town centre wasn't as crowded as usual. (=it is usually more crowded)
Lisa didn't do as well in the exam as she had hoped. (=she had hoped to do better)
The weather is better today. It's not as cold. (=yesterday was colder than today)
I don't know as many people as you do. (=you know more people than me)
'How much did it cost? Fifty pounds?' ‘No, not as much as that.' (=less than fifty pounds)






You can also say not so ... (as):

It's not warm, but it isn't so cold as yesterday. ( = it isn't as cold as ... )

less ... than is similar to not as ... as:

I spent less money than you. (= I didn't spend as much money as you)
The city centre was less crowded than usual. (=it wasn't as crowded as usual)
I play tennis less than I used to. (=I don't play as much as I used to)


B

We also use as ... as (but not so ... as) in positive sentences and in questions:

I'm sorry I'm late. I got here as fast as I could.
There's plenty of food. You can have as much as you want.
Let's walk. It's just as quick as taking the bus.
Can you send me the information as soon as possible, please?




Also twice as ... as, three times as ... as etc. :

Petrol is twice as expensive as it was a few years ago.
Their house is about three times as big as ours.

C

We say the same as (not the same like):

Laura's salary is the same as mine.        or        Laura gets the same salary as me.
David is the same age as James.
Sarah hasn't changed. She still looks the same as she did ten years ago.


D
Than me /than I am etc.

You can say:


You're taller than me.         or     You're taller than I am.
(not usually You're taller than I)
He's not as clever as her.      or     He's not as clever as she is.
They have more money than us.   or        They have more money than we have.
I can't run as fast as him.               or         I can't run as fast as he can.






EXERCISES

107.1
Complete the sentences using as ... as.

1
I'm tall, but you are taller. I'm not _____as tall as you_____.
2
My salary is high, but yours is higher. My salary isn't ___________________.
3
You know a bit about cars, but I know more.
You don't ___________________.
4
We are busy today, but we were busier yesterday.
We aren't ___________________.
5
I still feel bad, but I felt a lot worse earlier.
I don't ___________________.
6
Our neighbours have lived here for quite a long time, but we've lived here longer.
Our neighbours haven't ___________________.
7
I was a little nervous before the interview, but usually I'm a lot more nervous.
I wasn't ___________________.
107.2
Write a new sentence with the same meaning.

1
Jack is younger than he looks. Jack isn't _____ as old as he looks._______
2
I didn't spend as much money as you. You _____ spent more money than me. ________
3
The station was nearer than I thought. The station wasn't __________________.
The meal didn't cost as much as I expected. The meal cost __________________.
I go out less than I used to. I don't __________________.
Karen's hair isn't as long as it used to be. Karen used to __________________.
4
5
6
7
I know them better than you do. You don't __________________.
There are fewer people at this meeting than at the last one.
There aren't __________________.
8
107.3
Complete the sentences using as ... as+ the following:

bad
comfortable
fast
hard
long
often
quietly
soon
well


1
I'm sorry I'm late. I got here _____as fast as ____ I could.
2
It was a difficult question. I answered it _______________ I could.
'How long can I stay with you?' 'You can stay _______________ you like.'
I need the information quickly, so let me know _______________ possible.
I like to keep fit, so I go swimming _______________ I can.
I didn't want to wake anybody, so I came in _______________  I could.
3
4
5
6

In the following sentences use just as ... as.
7
I'm going to sleep on the floor. It's _______________ the bed.
You always say how tiring your job is, but I work _______________ you.
At first I thought he was nice, but really he's _______________ everybody else.
8
9
107.4
Write sentences using the same as.

1
David and James are both 22 years old. David _____is the same age as ______ James.
2
You and I both have dark brown hair. Your hair ______________________ mine.
I arrived at 10.25 and so did you. I arrived ______________________ you.
My birthday is 5 April. It's Tom's birthday too. My birthday ______________________ Tom's.
3
4
107.5
Complete the sentences with than ... or as ....

1
I can't reach as high as you. You are taller ______than me.____________
2
He doesn't know much. I know more _______________________.
I don't work particularly hard. Most people work as hard _______________________.
We were very surprised. Nobody was more surprised _______________________.
She's not a very good player. I'm a better player _______________________.
They've been very lucky. I wish we were as lucky _______________________.
3
4
5
6

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments