Tuesday 10 March 2020

UNIT 90. All, every and whole ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 90. All, every and whole

A
All and everybody/everyone

We do not normally use all to mean everybody/everyone:

Everybody had a great time at the party. (not All enjoyed)

But we say all of us /all of you /all of them:

All of us had a great time at the party. (not Everybody of us)
B
All and everything

Sometimes you can use all or everything:

I'll do all I can to help.           or            I'll do everything I can to help.

You can say ‘all I can' /’ all you need' etc., but we do not normally use all alone:

He thinks he knows everything. (not he knows all)

Our holiday was a disaster. Everything went wrong. (not All went wrong)

But you can say all about:

He knows all about computers.

We also use all (not everything) to mean ‘the only thing(s)’ :

All I've eaten today is a sandwich. (= the only thing I've eaten today)
C
Every/ everybody /everyone /everything are singular words, so we use a singular verb:

Every seat in the theatre was taken.
Everybody has arrived. (not have arrived)


But we use they/them/their after everybody/everyone:

Everybody said they enjoyed themselves. (=everybody enjoyed himself or herself)
D
Whole and all

Whole = complete, entire. Most often we use whole with singular nouns:

Did you read the whole book? (= all the book, not just a part of it)
Emily has lived her whole life in the same town.
I was so hungry, I ate a whole packet of biscuits. (= a complete packet)



We use the/my/ her etc. before whole. Compare whole and all: her whole life but all her life
We do not normally use whole with uncountable nouns. We say:

I've spent all the money you gave me. (not the whole money)
E
Every/all/whole with time words

We use every to say how often something happens (every day /every Monday /every ten minutes /every three weeks etc.):

When we were on holiday, we went to the beach every day. (not all days)
The bus service is excellent. There's a bus every ten minutes.
We don't see each other very often - about every six months.



All day / the whole day = the complete day from beginning to end:

We spent all day /the whole day on the beach.
Dan was very quiet. He didn't say a word all evening /the whole evening.

Note that we say all day (not all the day), all week (not all t he week) etc.
Compare all the time and every time:

They never go out. They are at home all the time. (=always, continuously)
Every time I see you, you look different . (=each time, on every occasion)


EXERCISES

90.1
Complete these sentences with all, everything or everybody/everyone.

1
It was a good party. ______ Everybody ______ had a great time.
2
____All____  I've eaten today is a sandwich.
3
______________ has their faults. Nobody is perfect.
Nothing has changed. ______________ is the same as it was.
Kate told me ______________ about her new job. lt sounds quite interesting.
Can ______________ write their names on a piece of paper, please?
4
5
6
7
Why are you always thinking about money? Money isn't______________
I didn't have much money with me. ______________ I had was ten pounds.
When the fire alarm rang, ______________ left the building immediately.
Sarah didn't say where she was going. ______________ she said was that she was going away.
8
9
10
11
We have completely different opinions. I disagree with ______________ she says.
We all did well in the exam. ______________ in our class passed.
We all did well in the exam. ______________ of us passed.
Why are you so lazy? Why do you expect me to do ______________ for you?
12
13
14
90.2
Write sentences with whole.

1
I read the book from beginning to end. _________ I read the whole book. ________________
2
Everyone in the team played well.
The ________________________________________________________
3
Paul opened a box of chocolates. When he finished eating, there were no chocolates left in the box. He ate ________________________________________________________
4
The police came to the house. They were looking for something. They searched everywhere, every room. They ________________________________________________________
5
Everyone in Ed and Jane's family plays tennis. Ed and Jane play, and so do all their children. The ________________________________________________________
6
Ann worked from early in the morning until late in the evening.
________________________________________________________
7
Jack and Lisa had a week's holiday by t he sea. lt rained from the beginning of the week to the end. It ________________________________________________________

Now write sentences 6 and 7 again using all instead of whole.
8
(6) Ann ________________________________________________________
9
(7) ________________________________________________________
90.3
Complete these sentences using every with the following:

five minutes
ten minutes
four hours
six months
four years

1
The bus service is very good. There's a bus ______every ten minutes _______.
2
Tom is ill. He has some medicine. He has to take it ____________________.
The Olympic Games take place ____________________.
3
4
We live near a busy airport. A plane flies over our house ____________________
5
Martin goes to the dentist for a check-up ____________________
90.4
Which is the correct alternative?

1
I've spent the whole money /all the money you gave me. (all the money is correct)
Sue works every day /all days except Sunday.
2
3
I'm tired. I've been working hard all the day /all day.
It was a terrible fire. Whole building /The whole building was destroyed.
I've been trying to contact her, but every time /all the time I phone there's no answer.
4
5
6
I don't like the weather here. It rains every time /all the time.
When I was on holiday, all my luggage /my whole luggage was stolen.
7



ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments