Wednesday 11 March 2020

UNIT 93. Relative clauses 2; clauses with and without who/ that/ which ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 93. Relative clauses 2; clauses with  and without who/ that/ which

A
Look at these example sentences from Unit 92:

You must use who/that/which when it is the subject of the relative clause. So you cannot say
'The woman lives next door is a doctor' or 'Where is the cheese was in the fridge?'.
B
Sometimes who/that/which is the object of the verb. For example:

When who/that/which is the object, you can leave it out. So you can say:

The woman I wanted to see was away.      or The woman who I wanted to see ...
Have you found the keys you lost?              or ... the keys that you lost?
The dress Lisa bought doesn't fit her very well.     or  The dress that Lisa bought ...
Is there anything I can do?          or ... anything that I can do?




Note that we say:

the keys you lost (not the keys you lost them)
the dress Lisa bought (not the dress Lisa bought it)

C
Note the position of prepositions (in/to/for etc.) in relative clauses:


Are these the books you were looking for?       or ... the books that/which you were .. .
The woman he fell in love with left him after a month.      or    The woman who/that he ...
The man I was sitting next to on the plane talked all the time.     Or
The man who/that I was sitting next to ...
D
You cannot use what in sentences like these (see also Unit 92D):

Everything (that) they said was true. (not Everything what they said)
I gave her all the money (that) I had. (not all the money what I had)


What = the thing(s) that:

Did you hear what they said? (= the things that they said)



EXERCISES

93.1
In some of these sentences you need who or that. Correct the sentences where necessary.

1
The woman lives next door is a doctor
___The woman who lives next door ____________
2
Have you found the keys you lost?
_____OK______
3
The people we met last night were very nice.
The people work in the office are very nice.
The people I work with are very nice.
What have you done with the money I gave you?
________________________
4
________________________
5
________________________
6
________________________
7
What happened to the money was on the table?
What's the worst film you've ever seen?
What's the best thing it has ever happened to you?
________________________
8
________________________
9
________________________
93.2
What do you say in these situations? Complete each sentence with a relative clause.

1
Your friend lost some keys. You want to know if he has found them. You say:
Have you found _____the key you lost______?
2
A friend is wearing a dress. You like it. You tell her:
I like the dress ____________________________________________.
3
A friend is going to see a film. You want to know the name of t he film. You say:
What's the name of the film ____________________________________________?
4
You wanted to visit a museum. lt was shut when you got there. You tell a friend:
The museum ____________________________________________was shut when we got there.
5
You invited some people to your party. Some of them couldn't come. You tell someone:
Some of the people ____________________________________________couldn't come.
6
Your friend had to do some work. You want to know if she has finished. You say:
Have you finished the work ____________________________________________?
7
You rented a car. lt broke down after a few miles. You tell a friend:
The car . ____________________________________________broke down after a few miles.
93.3
These sentences all have a relative clause with a preposition. Put the words in the correct order.

1
Did you find (looking /for /you /the books /were)?
Did you find ______ the books you were looking for ________________?
2
We couldn't go to (we / invited /to /were /the wedding).
We couldn't go to _________________________________________
3
What's the name of (the hotel /about /me /told /you)?
What's the name of _________________________________________?
4
Unfortunately I didn't get (applied /I / the job /for) .
Unfortunately I didn't get _________________________________________
5
Did you enjoy (you /the concert /to /went)?
Did you enjoy _________________________________________?
6
Gary is a good person to know. He's (on /rely /can /somebody /you).
Gary is a good person to know. He's _________________________________________
7
Who was (the man /were /with /you) in the restaurant last night?
Who was _________________________________________in the restaurant last night?
93.4
Put in that or what where necessary. If the sentence is already complete, leave the space empty.

1
I gave her all the money ___-_____I had. (all the money that I had is also correct)
2
Did you hear ____ what _____ they said?
3
They give their children everything _________ they want.
Tell me _________ you want and I’ll try to get it for you.
Why do you blame me for everything _________ goes wrong?
4
5
6
I won't be able to do much, but I'll do _________ I can.
7 I won't be able to do much, but I'll do the best _________ I can.
8 I don't agree with _________ you've just said.
9 I don't trust him. I don't believe anything _________ he says.
7
8
9



ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments