Wednesday 15 April 2020

SECTION 3: THE INTERNET 3.10 Email comprehension 2 CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY FOR COMPUTER AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY


CHECK YOUR ENGLISH VOCABULARY
FOR COMPUTER AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
SECTION 3: THE INTERNET
3.10 Email comprehension 2

Dear Jenny

As requested, I'm attaching the a/w files again.

The technical problems you've been experiencing may be due to your email provider. I have to say, I've never heard of Whoopydudu.com. You might be better off switching to one of the big names, such as Gmail or Yahoo.

Regarding file formats, TIFFs should be OK. If necessary, your designer will be able to reformat them very easily, but in my experience most designers have no problem working with TIFFs.

As the file sizes are quite large, and I understand that Angela only has a dial-up connection, I've sent her low-res versions to look at. I hope that will be OK. They should be clear enough.

I'm just about to go on holiday, so if you need me to send these files on disk, please let me know by Friday afternoon. I probably won't get the opportunity to check my email while I'm away, but if anything arises that won't keep, my assistant Trevor may be able to deal with it.

Best regards

Tony


A. Are these statements true or false?

1
Tony thinks Jenny should change her email provider.
The designer will need to reformat the files.
Angela doesn't have broadband.
Tony is sending resized versions of the a/w files to Angela.
These versions will look the same as the original versions.
Tony is going on holiday on Friday morning.
Trevor may be able to help with any problems that come up while Tony is away.
The style is neutral – neither formal nor informal.
2
3
4
5
6
7
8

B. Find words or expressions in the email which mean the same as the phrases below.

1
as you asked
_____________________________________
2
famous companies
_____________________________________
3
change the type of file
_____________________________________
4
I think, but I may be wrong…
_____________________________________
5
Low image resolution (see 1.6)
_____________________________________
6
on Friday afternoon or before
_____________________________________
7
comes up
_____________________________________
8
that's urgent
_____________________________________
 
ANSWER KEY
3.10 Email comprehension 2

A: 1 true, 2 false, 3 true, 4 true, 5 false, 6 false, 7 true, 8 true. Some of the language is quite informal, but the email begins and ends with Dear… and Best regards, and the tone is not particularly friendly.

B: as requested, 2 big names, 3 reformat, 4 I understand that…, 5 low-res, 6 by Friday afternoon, 7 arises,
8 that won't keep

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments