Wednesday, 11 March 2020

UNIT 100. Adjectives and adverbs 1 (quick/ quickly) ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 100. Adjectives and adverbs 1 (quick/ quickly)

A
Look at these examples:

√
Our holiday was too short- the time passed very quickly.

√
Two people were seriously injured in the accident.

Quickly and seriously are adverbs. Many adverbs are formed from an adjective+ -ly:
adjective:
quick
serious
careful
quiet
heavy
bad
adverb:
quickly
seriously
carefully
quietly
heavily
badly

For spelling, see Appendix 6.
Not all words ending in -ly are adverbs. Some adjectives end in -ly too, for example:
friendly
lively
elderly
lonely
silly
lovely
B
Adjective or adverb?

Adjectives (quick/careful etc.) tell us about a noun (somebody or something). We use adjectives before nouns:

√
Sam is a careful driver. (not a carefully driver)

√
We didn't go out because of the heavy rain.
Adverbs (quickly/carefully etc.) tell us about a verb (how somebody does something or how something happens):

√
Sam drove carefully along the narrow road. (not drove careful)

√
We didn't go out because it was raining heavily. (not raining heavy)

We also use adjectives after some verbs, especially be, and also look/feel/sound etc.
Compare:

√
Please be quiet.
√
I was disappointed that my exam results were so bad.
√
Why do you always look so serious?
√
I feel happy
√
Please speak quietly
√
I was unhappy that I did so badly in the exam. (not did so bad
√
Why do you never take me seriously?
√
The children were playing happily.
C
We also use adverbs before adjectives and other adverbs. For example:

reasonably cheap
terribly sorry
incredibly quickly
(adverb +adjective)
(adverb +adjective)
(adverb +adverb)

√
It's a reasonably cheap restaurant and the food is extremely good.
I'm terribly sorry. I didn't mean to push you. (not terrible sorry)
Maria learns languages incredibly quickly.
The exam was surprisingly easy.
√
√
√

You can also use an adverb before a past participle (injured/organised/written etc.):
√
Two people were seriously injured in the accident. (not serious injured)
The meeting was badly organised.
√





EXERCISES

100.1
Complete each sentence with an adverb. The first letters of the adverb are given.

1
We didn't go out because it was raining ___heavily____.
2
Our team lost the game because we played very ba_________
I didn't have any problems finding a place to live. I found a flat quite ea_________
3
4
We had to wait for a long time, but we didn't complain. We waited pat_________
Nobody knew Steve was coming to see us. He arrived unex_________
Mike keeps fit by playing tennis reg_________
5
6
7
I don't speak French very well, but I can understand per_________ if people speak sl_________ and cl_________.
100.2
Put in the correct word.

1
Two people were ___ seriously _____ injured in the accident. (serious /seriously)
2
The driver of the car had ____ serious ____ injuries. (serious /seriously)
3
I think you behaved very __________. (selfish /selfishly)
Tanya is __________upset about losing her job. (terrible /terribly)
There was a __________ change in the weather. (sudden /suddenly)
4
5
6
Everybody at the carnival was __________ dressed. (colourful /colourfully)
Linda usually wears __________ clothes. (colourful /colourfully)
Liz fell and hurt herself really __________. (bad /badly)
Joe says he didn't do well at school because he was __________ taught. (bad /badly)
Don't go up that ladder. It doesn't look __________. (safe /safely)
7
8
9
10
100.3
Complete each sentence using a word from the box. Sometimes you need the adjective (careful etc.) and sometimes the adverb (carefully etc.).

careful(ly)
complete(ly)
continuous(ly)
financial(ly)
fluent(ly)
happy/ happily
nervous(ly)
perfect(ly)
quick(ly)
special(ly)

1
Our holiday was too short. The time passed very ____quickly._______
2
Steve doesn't take risks when he's driving. He's always _____________________.
Sue works _____________________. She never seems to stop.
Rachel and Patrick are very _____________________married.
Maria's English is very _____________________although she makes quite a lot of mistakes..
3
4
5
6
I cooked this meal _____________________for you, so I hope you like it.
Everything was very quiet. There was _____________________silence.
I tried on the shoes and they fitted me _____________________.
Do you usually feel _____________________before exams?
I'd like to buy a car, but it's _____________________impossible for me at the moment.
7
8
9
10
100.4
Choose two words (one from each box) to complete each sentence.

1
I thought the restaurant would be expensive, but it was _____reasonably cheap.______
2
Will's mother is ___________ in hospital.
What a big house! it's ___________.
It wasn't a serious accident. The car was only ___________.
3
4
5
The children are normally very lively, but they're ___________today.
When I returned home after 20 years, everything had ___________.
The movie was ___________. It could have been much shorter.
A lot went wrong during our holiday because it was ___________.
6
7
8



ANSWER KEY


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments