Thursday 12 March 2020

UNIT 101. Adjectives and adverbs 2 (well/ fast/ late, hard/ hardly)


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 101. Adjectives and adverbs 2 (well/ fast/ late, hard/ hardly)

A
Good/ well

Good is an adjective. The adverb is well:

Your English is good.                  but             You speak English well.

Susan is a good pianist.               but             Susan plays the piano well.

We use well (not good) with past participles (dressed/known etc.):
well-dressed
well-known
well-educated
well-paid

Gary's father is a well-known writer.

But well is also an adjective with the meaning 'in good health':

'How are you today?' 'I'm very well, thanks.'
B
Fast/hard/Late
These words are both adjectives and adverbs:

adjective
adverb
Darren is a very fast runner.
Kate is a hard worker.
I was late

Lately = recently:
Have you seen Tom lately?
Darren can run very fast.
Kate works hard. (not works hardly)
I got up late this morning.
C
Hardly

Hardly = very little, almost not. Study these examples:

Sarah wasn't very friendly at the party. She hardly spoke to me.
(=she spoke to me very little, almost not at all)

We've only met once or twice. We hardly know each other.

Hard and hardly are different. Compare:

He tried hard to find a job, but he had no luck. (= he tried a lot, with a lot of effort)
I'm not surprised he didn't find a job. He hardly tried. (=he tried very little)


I can hardly do something= it's very difficult for me, almost impossible:

Your writing is terrible. I can hardly read it. (= it is almost impossible to read it)
My leg was hurting. I could hardly walk.

D
You can use hardly+ any/anybody/anyone/anything/anywhere

A: How much money have we got?
B: Hardly any. (=very little, almost none)

These two cameras are very similar. There's hardly any difference between them

The exam results were very bad. Hardly anybody in our class passed. (=very few students passed)


Note that you can say:

She said hardly anything.                    or                   She hardly said anything.

We've got hardly any money.            or                             We've hardly got any money.

Hardly ever= almost never:

I'm nearly always at home in the evenings. I hardly ever go out.

Hardly also means 'certainly not'. For example:

It's hardly surprising that you're tired. You haven't slept for three days. (= it's certainly not surprising)

The situation is serious, but it's hardly a crisis. (= it's certainly not a crisis)



EXERCISES

101.1
Put in good or well.

1
I play tennis but I'm not very ____good. _______
2
Your exam results were very _________________.
You did _________________ in your exams.
The weather was _________________ while we were away.
I didn't sleep _________________ last night.
3
4
5
6
Lucy speaks German _________________. She's _________________ at languages.
Our new business isn't doing very _________________ at the moment.
I like your hat. lt looks _________________ on you.
I've met her a few times, but I don't know her _________________.
7
8
9
101.2
Complete these sentences using well + the following words:
behaved
dressed
informed
kept
known
paid
written




1
The children were very good. They were _____ well-behaved. _______________
2
I'm surprised you haven't heard of her. She is quite ____________.
Our neighbours' garden is neat and tidy. It is very ____________.
I enjoyed the book you lent me. It's a great story and it's very ____________.
Tanya knows a lot about many things. She is very ____________.
3
4
5
6
Mark's clothes are always smart. He is always ____________.
Jane has a lot of responsibility in her job, but she isn't very____________.
7
101.3
Are the underlined words right or wrong? Correct them where necessary.

1
I'm tired because I've been working hard.
_____ OK________
2
I tried hard to remember her name, but I couldn't.
This coat is practically unused. I've hardly worn it.
Laura is a good tennis player. She hits the ball hardly.
__________________
3
__________________
4
__________________
5
Don't walk so fast! I can't keep up with you.
I had plenty of time, so I was walking slow.
__________________
6
__________________
101.4
Complete the sentences. Use hardly+ the following verbs (in the correct form):
change
hear
know
recognise
say
sleep
speak




1
Scott and Tracy have only met once before. They _____hardly know ______ each other.
2
You're speaking very quietly. I can ____________ you.
I'm very tired this morning. I ____________ last night.
We were so shocked when we heard the news, we could ____________.
Kate was very quiet this evening. She ____________ a word.
3
4
5
6
You look the same now as you looked 15 years ago. You've ____________.
I met David a few days ago. I hadn't seen him for a long time and he looks very different now. I ____________ him.
7
101.5
Complete these sentences with hardly+ any/anybody/anything/anywhere/ever.

1
I'll have to go shopping. There's _____ hardly anything_________to eat.
2
It was a very warm day and there was ____________________ wind.
3
'Do you know much about computers?' 'No, ____________________
The hotel was almost empty. There was ____________________ staying there.
I listen to the radio a lot, but I ____________________ watch television.
Our new boss is not very popular. ____________________ likes her.
4
5
6
7
It was very crowded in the room. There was ____________________ to sit.
We used to be good friends, but we ____________________ see each other now.
It was nice driving this morning. There was ____________________ traffic.
I hate this town. There's ____________________ to do and ____________________ to go.
8
9
10

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments