Thursday 12 March 2020

UNIT 102. So and Such ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE


ENGLISH GRAMMAR IN USE FOR INTERMEDIATE
UNIT 102. So and Such

A
Compare so and such:

We use so+ adjective/adverb:

so stupid
so nice
so quick
so quickly

I didn't like the book. The story was so stupid.
I like Liz and Joe. They are so nice.
We use such + noun:
such a story
such people
We also use such +adjective +noun:
such a stupid story
such nice people

I didn't like the book. It was such a stupid story. (not a so stupid story)
I like Liz and Joe. They are such nice people. (not so nice people)

We say such a ... (not a such):
such a big dog (not a such big dog)
B
So and such make the meaning stronger:

It's a beautiful day, isn't it? It's so warm. (=really warm)
It's difficult to understand him because he talks so quietly.

You can use so ... that:
The book was so good that I couldn't put it down.
I was so tired that I fell asleep in the armchair.

We usually leave out that:
I was so tired I fell asleep.
It was a great holiday. We had such a good time. (=a really good time)
You always think good things are going to happen. You're such an optimist.

You can use such ... that:
It was such a good book that I couldn't put it down.
It was such nice weather that we spent the whole day on the beach.

We usually leave out that:
It was such nice weather we spent ...
C
We also use so and such with the meaning 'like this':

Somebody told me the house was built 100 years ago. I didn't realise it was so old. (= as old as it is)
I'm tired because I got up at six. I don't usually get up so early.
I expected the weather to be cooler. I'm surprised it is so warm
I didn't realise it was such an old house.
You know it's not true. How can you say such a thing?

Note the expression no such ... :
You won't find the word 'blid' in the dictionary. There's no such word. (=this word does not exist)
D
Compare:



EXERCISES

102.1
Put in so, such or such a.

1
It's difficult to understand him because he speaks ____so ______quietly.
I like Liz and Joe. They're ____ such ______ nice people.
It was a great holiday. We had _____ such a ______ good time.
2
3
4
I was surprised that he looked __________ well after his recent illness.
Everything is __________ expensive these days, isn’t it?
The weather is beautiful, isn’t it? I didn’t expect it to be __________ nice day.
I think she works too hard. She looks __________ tired all the time.
He always looks good. He wears __________ nice clothes.
5
6
7
8
9
It was __________ boring movie that I fell asleep while I was watching it.
I couldn’t believe the news. It was __________ shock.
I have to go. I didn't realise it was __________ late.
10
11
12
The food at the hotel was __________ awful. I've never eaten __________ awful food
13
They've got __________ much money they don't know what to do with it.
I didn't realise you lived __________ long way from the city centre.
The party was really great. It was __________ shame you couldn’t come.
14
15
102.2
Make one sentence from two. Use so or such.


1
____She worked so hard she made herself ill. ____________
2
_______It was such a beautiful day we decided to go to the beach. ______________
3
I was _________________________________________________
4
_________________________________________________________
5
_________________________________________________________
6
_________________________________________________________
7
_________________________________________________________
8
_________________________________________________________
9
_________________________________________________________
10
_________________________________________________________
102.3
Use your own ideas to complete these pairs of sentences.

1
a We enjoyed our holiday. It was so ____ relaxing_______.
b We enjoyed our holiday. We had such __________ a good time ____________
2
a I like Catherine. She's so ___________________
b I like Catherine. She's such ___________________
3
a I like New York. It's so ___________________
b I like New York. It's such ___________________
4
a I wouldn't like to be a teacher. It's so ___________________
b I wouldn't like t o be a teacher. It's such ___________________
5
a It's great to see you again! I haven't seen you for so ___________________
b It’s great to see you again! I haven’t seen you for such ___________________





ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments