Sunday 17 May 2020

Illness: feeling under the weather CAMBRIDGE ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE ADVANCED


CAMBRIDGE ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE ADVANCED
UNIT 52
Illness: feeling under the weather

A
Feeling unwell

Some informal expressions that mean ‘not well, but not seriously ill’.
A: You look a bit off-colour today. Are you all right?
B: I’m just feeling a bit out of sorts, it’s nothing to worry about.
I was feeling a bit under the weather, so I stayed at home yesterday.
Katy’s been feeling poorly for a while.
I’m fighting off a cold at the moment. [trying to get rid of]
Rani isn’t in today; she’s gone down with flu. [has caught, usually a non-serious illness]
I’m not going to work today. I’ve come down with a dreadful cold. (we usually say come down, not go down with, when talking about ourselves)
Harry suffers from hay fever and sneezes a lot if he’s near grass or flowers. [used for more long-term problems]
B
Minor health problems

Note that hurt is different from ache:
My arm hurts where I banged it against the car door. [gives pain caused by an injury]
My back aches after all that digging yesterday. [persistent low-level pain]
The fixed expression (the usual) aches and pains is often used to refer in a non-serious way to minor problems: Mum’s feeling fine, apart from the usual aches and pains (NOT pains and aches).
The fixed expression cuts and bruises can refer to minor injuries: Jason had a few cuts and bruises when he fell off his bike, nothing serious (NOT bruises and cuts).
Some other kinds of physical discomfort:
My hand’s been stinging ever since I touched that plant. [sudden, burning pain]
My head is throbbing. [beating with pain]
I have a stiff neck from sitting in a draught yesterday. [pain and difficulty in moving your neck round]
She tripped on the uneven pavement and twisted her ankle. [injured by turning it suddenly]
I feel a bit dizzy. I think I should sit down. [a feeling that you are spinning round and can’t balance]
She was a bit feverish this morning, so I told her to stay in bed. [with a high temperature/fever]
I feel quite shivery / hot and cold. I think I must have a temperature. [shaking slightly, usually because of a fever]
I’ve had a lot of sleepless nights recently. [without sleeping much]
I had a terrible nauseous feeling after taking the medicine, but it passed. [/nɔziəs/ feeling that you want to vomit]
He was trembling all over; I knew it must be something serious. [shaking]
My nose is all bunged up today with this horrible cold. [blocked; informal]

Language help
You can call a physical pain a dull/nagging/ throbbing ache but the noun hurt refers to emotional pain, e.g. The break-up of their relationship caused them both deep hurt.
C
Getting better

I had a virus last week, but I got over it quite quickly. [got better, recovered]
Jo’s recovering from a major operation. [getting better: used for more serious illnesses]
Dan felt terrible last week, but he’s on the mend now. [getting better]
It’s taking Hania some time to recover from her accident, but she’s over the worst now. [past the most difficult period]
She’ll be back on her feet again soon. [fully healthy again]

EXERCISES

52.1
Correct the mistakes in these sentences.

1 She was feeling out of the weather and a bit fevering, so she took the day off.
2 I felt really off my colour yesterday and my head was throwing, so I took a painkiller.
3 I felt a bit off the sorts and seemed to have more pains and aches than usual.
4 Maria has back hurt after carrying that heavy suitcase of yours.
5 Freddie has been fighting out cold for the last few days.
6 I’m sorry I won’t make it to your party because I’ve gone down with flu.
7 Do you suffer of any allergies?
8 How did you get all those bruises and cuts?
52.2
Rewrite the underlined parts of these sentences using words and phrases from B opposite.

1 I was feeling quite as if I had a high temperature.
2 The smell of paint always made her feel that she wanted to vomit.
3 I felt as if my head was spinning, so I went and lay down for an hour.
4 My nose was blocked, so I got a spray from the chemist.
5 I got a pain in my neck from driving for a long time in an awkward position.
6 Laura was feeling hot and cold and looked unwell, so I told her to go to bed.
7 My knee hurts today because I moved it awkwardly getting out of Andrei’s sports car yesterday.
8 I didn’t sleep at all last night.
52.3
Sort these everyday phrasal verbs and expressions connected with health and illness into two groups, depending on whether they have positive or negative meanings with regard to health.

suffer from
be over the worst
fight off
be on the mend
be back on your feet again
get over
come down with
under the weather

positive
negative









52.4
Now fill the gaps using expressions from 52.3.

1 (Someone speaking to a colleague just returned to work after an illness) Hello, Dan, good to see you _______________.
2 (Person ringing their place of work) Nadja, I won’t be in today, I’ve _______________a cold.
3 (Person in hospital, just beginning to get better, talking to a visitor) Oh, I’m OK. I’m _______________now. I still feel bad, but I should be out within a week or so.
4 (Parent to a child with a cold) Don’t worry, darling. Everyone has a cold now and then. You’ll _______________it.
5 (Someone ringing a workmate) I’m trying to _______________the flu, but nothing seems to help. I don’t think I’ll be at work tomorrow.
6 Lily was quite ill last week, but she’s _______________now and should be back at work on Monday.
7 I feel a bit _______________today, but I’m sure I’ll be fine tomorrow.
8 I used to _______________a dust allergy, but I don’t think I do any more.

ANSWER KEY

52.1
1 She was feeling under the weather and a bit feverish, so she took the day off.
2 I felt really off-colour yesterday and my head was throbbing, so I took a painkiller.
3 I felt a bit out of sorts and seemed to have more aches and pains than usual.
4 Maria has backache after carrying that heavy suitcase of yours.
5 Freddie has been fighting off a cold for the last few days.
6 I’m sorry I won’t make it to your party because I’ve come down with flu.
7 Do you suffer from any allergies?
8 How did you get all those cuts and bruises?

52.2
1 I was feeling quite feverish.
2 The smell of paint always made her feel nauseous.
3 I felt dizzy, so I went and lay down for an hour.
4 My nose was bunged up, so I got a spray from the chemist.
5 I got a stiff neck from driving for a long time in an awkward position.
6 Laura was shivery and looked unwell, so I told her to go to bed.
7 My knee hurts today because I twisted it getting out of Andrei’s sports car yesterday.
8 I had a sleepless night last night.

52.3
Positive meanings: be over the worst, fight off*, be on the mend, be back on your feet again, get over
Negative meanings: suffer from, fight off*, come down with, under the weather
*Whether you consider fight off to be positive or negative depends on whether you feel that ‘fighting
something off’ is always used in a negative situation, or whether you are succeeding in ‘fighting off’
your cold/flu/headache, etc., in which case you might see it as positive.

52.4
1 Hello, Dan, good to see you back on your feet again.
2 Nadja, I won’t be in today, I’ve come down with a cold.
3 Oh, I’m OK. I’m over the worst now. I still feel bad, but I should be out within a week or so. (over
the worst suggests getting better, but that you are still quite ill; on the mend (see 6 below) suggests
the person is getting back to normal health)
4 Don’t worry, darling. Everyone has a cold now and then. You’ll get over it.
5 I’m trying to fight off the flu, but nothing seems to help. I don’t think I’ll be at work tomorrow.
6 Lily was quite ill last week, but she’s on the mend / back on her feet again now and should be
back at work on Monday.
7 I feel a bit under the weather today, but I’m sure I’ll be fine tomorrow.
8 I used to suffer from a dust allergy, but I don’t think I do any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments