Thursday 7 May 2020

GRAMMAR 2 PRESENT PERFECT (2) FIRST LANGUAGE PRACTICE WITH KEY


FIRST LANGUAGE PRACTICE WITH KEY
 GRAMMAR 2 PRESENT PERFECT (2)

3. Put the verb in brackets into a suitable verb form.

1
I’m sorry about not coming last week. I (have) ....had........a cold and so I (stay) ___________ at home.
2
Wait a minute! I (have) ___________ an idea. Let’s go and see Roger. The last time we (see) ___________ him was years ago.
3
It’s nice to be back. This is the second time I (visit) ___________ this country.
4
I’m phoning about your bicycle for sale, which I (see) ___________ in the local paper, (you sell) ___________ it? Or is it still available?
5
This place is in a terrible mess! What on earth (you do) ___________?
6
And now for an item of local news. Hampshire police (find) ___________ the dangerous snake which (go) ___________ missing earlier in the week.
7
This tooth (hurt) ___________ a lot lately. So I (make) ___________ an appointment with the dentist for next Tuesday.
8
I can’t give you the report I (promise) ___________ for today because I (not finish) ___________ it.

4. Underline the most suitable time expression.

1 I haven’t seen Gerry for / since a long time. How is he?
2 It’s ages ago / since I last went to a football match.
3 I’ve written to Deborah last week / recently.
4 What have you been doing today / yesterday?
5 Have you eaten Italian food before / already?
6 I’ve been living here in / since the end of last year.
7 Actually I had dinner with Sue last night / lately.
8 I’ve been trying to get in touch with David for ages /for the last time.
9 Terry hasn’t been to Edinburgh since / when we went there together.
10 I can’t remember how long/ when I’ve had this watch.

5. Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence, using the word given. Do not change the word given. You must use between two and five words, including the word given.

1
Steve started learning the violin a month ago.
learning
Steve _____ has been learning ________ the violin for a month.
2
I haven’t been to an Indian restaurant for ages,
since
It’s ages _________________________ an Indian restaurant.
3
When she heard the results, Mary began to feel more confident,
become
Since hearing the results_________________________ more confident.
4
The last time Nancy came here was in 1986.
since
Nancy hasn’t_________________________ 1986.
5
This is my first visit to Japan,
time
This is the first_________________________ to Japan.
6
How long have Helen and Robert been married?
get
When_________________________ married?
7
Jack bought those trousers last month, and has been wearing them ever since,
for
Jack has_________________________ a month.
8
It’s a long time since our last conversation,
spoken
We_________________________ long. time.
9
Thanks, but I had something to eat earlier,
already
Thanks, but I’ve_________________________ eat.
10
This is my first game of water-polo.
played
I_________________________ before

ANSWER KEY

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments