Monday 18 May 2020

Technology and its impact CAMBRIDGE ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE ADVANCED


CAMBRIDGE ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE ADVANCED
UNIT 56
Technology and its impact

A
Technological advances affecting daily life

technology
examples of uses/applications
example sentences with associated key words
digital technology
digital photography, digital video
and audio recording; digital
broadcasting
The sound quality of a digital voice recorder is superior to that of an analogue one. [non-digital]
wi-fi
a system for connecting electronic
devices to the internet without
using wires
The hotel has wi-fi in every room.
satellite
communications
satellite navigation [SATNAV]
systems; mobile phones
She doesn’t use a road map now because her new car has GPS (global positioning system) built in, so she gave me her old plug-in SATNAV.
biotechnology
genetic modification of plants
Biotechnology companies are experimenting with new, disease-resistant crops for farmers. [with a high level of protection against diseases
artificial
intelligence (AI)
automatic translation;
identification systems
Scientists working in AI are hoping to create computers that will be more and more like the human brain.
ergonomics
design of environments so
people can work efficiently and
comfortably
This car has ergonomically designed seats. [designed to give maximum comfort and efficiency]
Bluetooth™
connecting electronic devices to
each other with no wires
My car has Bluetooth, so I can connect my phone to the speakers.
B
How much of a techie* are you?

[* person who loves acquiring all the new technology]
Today we are all to some degree dependent on technology. How many of these things do you own or use?
a smartphone [a mobile phone that can be used as a small computer]
a hands-free earpiece and microphone for your mobile
a smart ID card for entering your workplace or college
a laptop (computer) or notebook
a desktop computer for the home or office
an MP3 player
a games console
a tablet using a touchscreen, such as an iPad
an e-reader, such as a Kindle
an interactive flat-screen TV
a router to let you connect to the internet from different devices

Language help
Technical (adverb = technically) means relating to the knowledge, machines and materials used in science and industry, e.g. Removing the salt from sea water is a technically complex process. Technological (adverb = technologically) means relating to or involving technology, e.g. Technologically, their company is a long way behind ours. Note that technically – NOT technologically – can also be used to mean according to an exact understanding of the facts, e.g. The recession is technically over but things are still difficult for many people.

EXERCISES

56.1
Based on A opposite, what types of technology would you associate with the following?

1 a round-the-world yachtsman/woman trying to establish his/her exact position
2 a designer creating a new type of computer keyboard which would be more efficient and comfortable to use
3 a scientist producing a new type of wheat which does not need to be sprayed against insects
4 a camera that produces photos that you can store on a computer or your phone
5 a computer that can make decisions for itself
6 a music player in your car that you can connect your phone to with no wires
56.2
Which type of device in B opposite is the speaker talking about?

1 I prefer it to my mobile because it’s much bigger, but it’s still not too heavy to carry around. I can Skype on it and take photos with it. I can access my emails wherever I am. I just can’t make ordinary phone calls _______________________ .
2 The picture is really good quality and it’s fun being able to send in comments at the same time as you’re watching a programme_______________________.
3 It’s pretty small and light, but the screen and keyboard are not very big and I find the trackpad more awkward to use than a mouse_______________________.
4 I always use this rather than my laptop when I’m at home; I have it on a special table in my room next to my printer_______________________.
5 I used to have to take so many books when I went on holiday but now I don’t need to. I just have to remember my charger! _______________________
6 I changed its position and now I can get online from any room in the house_______________________.
56.3
Here are some other words and phrases connected with computers. Not all of them are on the opposite page. Fill the gaps in the sentences. Use a dictionary if necessary.

Computer nerd
app
thumbnail
icon
screensaver
trackpad
techie
footprint

1 There are some good pictures of the Olympic Games on that sports website. You can look at ________________ pictures and then click on them to see the full-size version.
2 My younger brother’s a real ________________. He never goes out, and all he ever thinks about is computers, computers, computers.
3 I’m a bit of a ________________ really; I love getting the latest mobile phone or digital camera.
4 I’ve downloaded a great new gaming ________________ onto my phone.
5 His ________________ on his laptop is a really cool picture of the night sky.
6 This new printer’s got a smaller ________________ than the one I had before, which is good, since my desk is not very big.
7 Just click on that ________________ there to open the program.
8 I don’t really like this ________________ on my laptop; I’d prefer a proper mouse.
56.4
Complete the word beginning with ‘techn…’ in each sentence. Not all the words you need are on the opposite page.

1 Karl got a good job as a lab techn___________ in the university.
2 In this country, young people techn___________ become adults at the age of 18.
3 Computer techn___________ makes huge advances every year.
4 Andrea has a very interesting techn___________ for remembering vocabulary.
5 Publicity photos of celebrities have usually been techn___________ enhanced.
56.5
Over to you

The language and terminology connected with computers changes very quickly. If you want to keep up with it, read computer advertisements in newspapers and magazines, or else visit the websites of well-known hardware and software manufacturers, and note any new vocabulary and how it is used.

ANSWER KEY

56.1
1 satellite communications
2 ergonomics
3 biotechnology
4 digital technology
5 artificial intelligence
6 Bluetooth™

56.2
1 tablet / iPad               4 desktop computer
2 interactive TV          5 e-reader / Kindle
3 laptop                         6 router

56.3
1 thumbnail (small pictures you can make bigger before downloading them)
2 computer nerd (a rather negative term for a person obsessed with computers and who devotes
most of their time to them at the expense of a normal social life)
3 techie (this has none of the negative associations that nerd has)
4 app (short for application = special software)
5 screensaver (image that appears on your computer screen if you do not use the computer for a
certain period of time)
6 footprint
7 icon (small symbol representing the program)
8 trackpad

56.4
1 technician
2 technically
3 technology
4 technique
5 technologically

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments