Monday 4 May 2020

Free time: relaxation and leisure CAMBRIDGE ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE ADVANCED


CAMBRIDGE ENGLISH VOCABULARY IN USE ADVANCED
UNIT 15
Free time: relaxation and leisure

A
Adjectives describing free-time activities

adjective
meaning
possible examples
rewarding
gives you a lot of positive
experiences
doing voluntary work, helping charities
fruitful
produces good results
collaborating/cooperating with someone in an activity
lucrative
makes a lot of money
selling designer jewellery, writing apps for smartphones
therapeutic
/
θerəˈpjuːtɪk/
makes you healthy in body
and/or mind
gardening, yoga, jogging
relaxing/calming
reduces stress, gives a
peaceful feeling
reading, listening to music, meditation
time-consuming
takes a long time to do
being president of a club, being a member of a
committee

I enjoyed being secretary of the sports club but it was very time-consuming. I had to give up two evenings a week to do it.
The conservation work I do is very rewarding. I feel I’m doing something good and useful.
Photography has been a lucrative pursuit for her. She often sells her pictures to magazines.
Painting is such a therapeutic activity. It makes me feel good, and teaches me patience.
B
Informal expressions: how people spend their leisure

Rob’s a real culture vulture; he goes to the theatre regularly and to every art gallery he can find. [big fan of anything cultural]
I’m a bit of a couch potato; I spend hours every day just watching TV. [physically very inactive person]
Lucy loves playing tennis but only as an amateur – she’d never want to be a professional. [someone who does something as a hobby, not a job]
Fatima’s a bit of a dabbler; she takes up a hobby for a couple of weeks, then she gets bored and starts something different. [person who never keeps doing one activity for long]
Matt does a lot of chores at the weekend – things like shopping and mowing the lawn. [boring tasks that have to be done] [grass]
Laura’s a shopaholic. She buys all sorts of things she doesn’t need. [person addicted to shopping; compare alcoholic: addicted to alcohol]
Joe is heavily into downhill skiing these days. [is very involved in]
I went off football and I took up golf instead. [stopped liking, lost interest in]
She locks herself away for hours in her room and listens to music. [isolates herself from the world]
He’s totally hooked on motor racing these days. [is addicted to]
What do you get up to at weekends, Mariana? [do]
Do you have a hectic social life? I have a pretty full diary. [a lot of activities]
Mark is a keen participant in all the community activities in his town. [takes part enthusiastically]

Language help

Words like shopaholic, workaholic and chocaholic are used in a light-hearted way and are different from alcoholic, which is a serious and medically recognised condition.



EXERCISES

16.1
Fill the gaps with a suitable adjective from A opposite. There may be more than one possible answer.

1 I find writing poetry very___________. It helps me to get a truer understanding of myself and gives me a good feeling inside.
2 I enjoy selling the pictures I paint, but it’s not very ___________. I only made £300 last year.
3 Gardening is very ___________. It reduces stress levels and calms you down.
4 I’ve had a ___________partnership with Jane for several years: she plays the piano and I play the violin. It’s been very good for both of us.
5 Doing unpaid work at the hospital has been a ___________experience for me.
6 I would like to be on the club committee, but I’ve heard it’s very ___________, and I don’t have a lot of free time.
16.2
Solve these riddles, based on words in B opposite.

1 I am a vegetable that sits where humans sit. What am I?
2 I enjoy shopping a bit too much. What am I?
3 I am a bird that eats the flesh of art. What am I?
4 I do some of this and some of that, but never all of this or all of that. What am I?
16.3
Answer the questions.

1 Which of these is your least favourite chore – washing your clothes or tidying your room?
2 How often is it usually necessary to mow a lawn?
3 Does an amateur footballer get paid for playing a match?
4 If you say that someone ‘dabbles in photography’, are they a serious photographer?
5 When it comes to sport, do you prefer to be a spectator or a participant?
16.4
Give alternatives for the underlined words.

1 My daughter’s extremely interested in folk music. She downloads a lot of traditional folk songs.
2 He isolates himself in the attic and plays with his model railway for hours on end.
3 She’s totally addicted to football these days. She watches every match on TV.
4 I have a long list of social appointments for the rest of the month.
5 What do you engage in when you aren’t working, Nigel?
6 Martine performed with enthusiasm in the end-of-term concert.
16.5
Complete the dialogues with a word or expression from the opposite page. B agrees with A by saying the same thing in a different way.

1 A: Going for a swim helps you forget your everyday worries, doesn’t it?
B: Yes, it’s very _______________.

2 A: Dan spends every evening watching rubbish TV.
B: That’s true. He’s a terrible _______________.

3 A: I’m not so keen on playing in the school orchestra as I used to be.
B: Yes, I’ve _______________it too.

4 A: I’d like to join a drama group but it would mean giving up lots of evenings and weekends.
B: Yes, it can be a very _______________activity.

5 A: I don’t think I can fit in a tennis match with you for another couple of weeks.
B: No problem. I’ve got a very _______________too.

6 A: Someone said I could make some money out of those necklaces I make in my spare time.
B: I agree. I think it could prove very _______________for you.



ANSWER KEY

16.1

1 therapeutic
2 lucrative
3 relaxing / calming / therapeutic
4 fruitful
5 rewarding
6 time-consuming

16.2
1 a couch potato
2 a shopaholic
3 a culture vulture
4 a dabbler

16.3
1 It’s a matter of personal choice but, for me, tidying is more of a chore than washing my clothes.
2 It depends, of course, but once a week in the grass-growing season is normal in England.
3 No, he/she doesn’t.
4 No, they do a bit of photography but are not seriously into it.
5 Again, it’s a matter of personal choice but, for me, being a participant is more appealing than being a spectator.

16.4
1 My daughter’s into folk music. She downloads a lot of traditional folk songs.
2 He locks himself away in the attic and plays with his model railway for hours on end.
3 She’s (totally) hooked on football these days. She watches every match on TV.
4 I have a full diary for the rest of the month.
5 What do you get up to when you aren’t working, Nigel?
6 Martine was a keen participant in the end-of-term concert.

16.5
1 therapeutic
2 couch potato
3 gone off
4 time-consuming
5 full diary
6 lucrative

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments