Friday 23 October 2020

CHAPTER 13. GERUNDS AND INFINITIVES (2) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 

FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CHAPTER 13. GERUNDS AND INFINITIVES

 

EXERCISE 2. Verb + gerund.

Directions: Complete the sentences in the dialogues. Use the expressions in the list or your own words. Be sure to use a gerund in each sentence.

buy a new car

do my homework

do things

get a Toyota

go to the zoo on Saturday

help him

rain

read a good book

tap your fingernails on the table

smoke

repeat that

try

 

1

A: Would you like to go for a walk?

B: Has it stopped ____ raining* _______ ?

A: Yes.

B: Let's go.

2

A: I've been having a lot of trouble with my old Volkswagen the last couple of months.

It's slowly falling apart. I'm thinking about __________________________________.

B: Do you think you'll get another Volkswagen?

A: No. I'm considering __________________________________.

3

A: What do you usually do in your free time in the evening?

B: I enjoy__________________________________.

4

A: Good news! I feel great. I don't cough any more, and I don't run out of breath when I walk up a hill.

B: Oh?

A: I quit __________________________________.

B: That's wonderful!

5

A: I've been working on this math problem for the last half hour, and I still don't understand it.

B: Well, don't give up. Keep __________________________________. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

6

A: Are you a procrastinator?

B: A what?

A: A procrastinator. That's someone who always postpones __________________________________.

B: Oh. Well, sometimes I put off __________________________________.

7

A: What are you doing?

B: I'm helping Teddy with his homework.

A: When you finish __________________________________, could you help me in the kitchen?

B: Sure.

8

A: Could you please stop doing that?

B: Doing what?

A: Stop __________________________________. It's driving me crazy!

9

A: Do you have any plans for this weekend?

B: Henry and I talked about __________________________________.

10

A: I didn't understand what you said. Would you mind __________________________________?

B: Of course not. I said, "Three free trees."

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments