Monday 26 October 2020

CHAPTER 14. NOUN CLAUSES (16) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 

FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CHAPTER 14. NOUN CLAUSES

 

14-7 SUBSTITUTING SO FOR A THAT-CLAUSE IN CONVERSATIONAL RESPONSES


EXERCISE 21. Substituting SO for a THAT-clause.

Directions: Restate Speaker B's answers to Speaker A's questions by using a that-clause.

1

A: Is Karen going to be home tonight?

B: I think so. I think that Karen is going to be home tonight.

2

A: Are we going to have a test in grammar tomorrow?

B: I don't believe so

3

A: Will Margo be at the conference in March?

B: I hope so.

4

A: Can cats swim?

B: I believe so.

5

A: Do gorillas have tails?

B: I don't think so.

6

A: Will Janet be at Omar's wedding?

B: I suppose so.

7

A: Will your flight be canceled because of the bad weather in Copenhagen?

B: I hope not.

 

EXERCISE 22. Substituting SO for a THAT-clause.

Directions: Answer the questions by using think so or believe so if you are not sure, or yes or no if you are sure. Work in pairs or as a class.

Example:

SPEAKER A (book open): Does this book have more than 500 pages?

SPEAKER B: (book closed): I think / believe so. OR

I don't think 1 don't believe so. OR

Yes, it does. / No, it doesn't.

 

1

Are we going to have a grammar quiz tomorrow?

2

Do spiders have noses?

3

Do spiders have eyes?

4

Is there a fire extinguisher in this building?

5

Is Toronto farther north than New York City

6

Does the word "patient’ have more than one meaning?

7

Don't look at your watch. Is it (supply a time) yet?

8

Is next Tuesday the (supply a dare)?

(Switch roles if working in pairs.)

9

Does the word "dozen" have more than one meaning?

10

Is your left foot bigger than your right foot?

11

Do gorillas eat meat?

12

Is Bangkok farther from the equator than Mexico City?

13

Can I buy a window fan at (name of a local store)?

14

Do any English words begin with the letter "x"?

15

Do you know what a noun clause is?

16

Is ( . . .) getting married soon?

ANSWER KEY

EXERCISE 21


EXERCISE 22

(YOUR OWN RESPONSES)

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments