Monday 26 October 2020

CHAPTER 14. NOUN CLAUSES (14) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 

FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CHAPTER 14. NOUN CLAUSES

 

EXERCISE 18. THAT-clauses.

Directions: Read each dialogue. Then use the expressions in parentheses to explain what the people are talking about.

DIALOGUE 1.

ALICIA: I really like my English teacher.

BONNIE: Great! That's wonderful. It's important to have a good English teacher.

(think that, be delighted that)

Alicia thinks that her English teacher is very good.

Bonnie is delighted that Alicia likes her English teacher.

Bonnie thinks that it's important w haw a good English teacher.

DIALOGUE 2.

MRS. DAY: How do you feel, honey? You might have the flu.

BOBBY: I'm okay, Mom. Honest. I don't have the flu.

(be worried that, be sure that)

DIALOGUE 3.

KIM: Did you really fail your chemistry course? How is that possible?

TINA: I didn't study hard enough. I was too busy having fun with my friends. I feel terrible about it.

(be surprised that, be disappointed that)

DIALOGUE 4.

DAVID: Mike! Hello! It's nice to see you.

MIKE: It's nice to be here. Thank you for inviting me.

(be glad/happy/pleased that)

DIALOGUE 5.

FRED: Susan has left. Look. Her closet is empty. Her suitcases are gone. She won't be back. I just know it!

ERICA: She'll be back.

(be afraid that, be upset that, be sure that)

DIALOGUE 6.

JOHN: I heard you were in jail. I couldn't believe it!

ED: Neither could I! I was arrested for robbing a house on my block. Can you believe that? It was a case of mistaken identity. I didn't have to stay in jail long.

(be shocked that, be relieved that)

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments