Friday 23 October 2020

CHAPTER 13. GERUNDS AND INFINITIVES (9) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 

FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CHAPTER 13. GERUNDS AND INFINITIVES

 

EXERCISE 10. Gerunds vs. infinitives.

Directions: Complete the sentences with a form of the words in parentheses.

1

I want (stay) ____ to stay ____ home tonight.

2

I want (relax) _______________ tonight.

3

I want (stay) _______________ home and (relax)* _______________ tonight.

4

I want (stay) _______________ home, (relax) _______________, and (go) _______________ to bed early tonight.

5

I enjoy (get) _______________ up early in the morning.

6

I enjoy (watch) _______________ the sunrise.

7

I enjoy (get) _______________ up early in the morning and (watch) _______________ the sunrise.

8

I enjoy (get) _______________ up early in the morning, (watch) _______________ the sunrise, and (listen) _______________ to the birds.

9

Mr. and Mrs. Brown are thinking about (sell) _______________ their old house and (buy) _______________ a new one.

10

Kathy plans (move) _______________ to New York City, (find) _______________ a job, and (start) _______________ a new life.

11

Have you finished (paint) _______________ your apartment yet?

12

Steve needs (go) _______________ to the shopping mall tomorrow and (buy) _______________ winter clothes.

13

Do you enjoy (go) _______________ to an expensive restaurant and (have) _______________ a gourmet dinner?

14

Most nonsmokers can't stand (be) _______________ in a smoke-filled room.

15

Let's postpone (go) _______________ abroad until the political situation improves.

16

The children promised (stop) _______________ (make) _______________ so much noise.

17

Kevin is thinking about (quit) _______________ his job and (go) _______________ back to school.

18

Linda plans (leave) _______________ for Chicago on Tuesday and (return) _______________ on Friday.

19

I often put off (wash) _______________ the dinner dishes until the next morning.

20

Don't forget (unplug) _______________ the coffeepot, (turn off) _______________ all the lights, and (lock) _______________ the door before you leave for work this morning.

21

Sometimes when I'm listening to someone who is speaking English very fast, I nod my head and pretend (understand) _______________.

22

After Isabel got a speeding ticket and had to pay a big fine, she decided (stop) _______________ (drive) _______________ over the speed limit on interstate highways.

23

I've been trying (reach) _______________ Carol on the phone for the last three days, but she is never at home. I intend (keep) _______________ (try) _______________ until I finally get her.

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments