Monday 26 October 2020

CHAPTER 14. NOUN CLAUSES (25) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 

FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CHAPTER 14. NOUN CLAUSES

 

EXERCISE 33. Reported vs. quoted speech.

Directions: Change the reported speech to quoted speech. Begin a new paragraph each time the speaker changes. Pay special attention to pronouns, verb forms, and word order.

Example: This morning my mother asked me if I had gotten enough sleep last night. I told her that I was fine. I explained that I didn't need a lot of sleep. She told me that I needed to take better care of myself.

Written: This morning my mother said, “Did you get enough sleep last night?”

“I’m fine,” I replied. “I don’t need a lot of sleep.”

She said, “You need to take better care of yourself.

1

In the middle of class yesterday, my friend tapped me on the shoulder and asked me what time it was. I told her it was two-thirty.

2

I met Mr. Redford at the reception for international students. He asked me where I was from. I told him I was from Argentina.

3

When I was putting on my hat and coat, Robert asked me where I was going. I told him that I had a date with Anna. He wanted to h o w what we were going to do. I told him that we were going to a movie.

 

EXERCISE 34. Reported speech.

Directions: In a written report, change the quoted speech to reported speech. Use formal sequence of tenses.

Example: QUOTED: "What are you doing?" Mr. Singh asked me.

"I'm doing a grammar exercise," I told him.

REPORTED: Mr. Singh asked me what I was doing. I told him (that) I was doing a grammar exercise.

QUOTED CONVERSATION ONE:

'Where's Bill?" Susan asked me.

"He's In the lunch room," I replied.

"When will he be back in his office?" she wanted to know.

I said, "He'll be back around two."

QUOTED CONVERSATION TWO:

"Can you help me clean the hall closet?' Mrs. Ball asked her husband.

"I'm really busy," he told his wife.

"What are you doing?" she wanted to know.

"I'm fixing the zipper on my winter jacket," he replied.

Then she asked him, "Will you have some time to help me after you fix the zipper?"

He said, "I can't because I have to watch a really important ball game on TV.’

With a note of exasperation In her voice, Mrs. Ball finally said, "I'll clean the closet myself"

ANSWER KEY

EXERCISE 33


EXERCISE 34


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments