Monday 26 October 2020

APPENDIX 1 PHRASAL VERBS (8) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 

FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

APPENDIX 1

PHRASAL VERBS

 

EXERCISE 8. Review: phrasal verbs.

Directions: Complete the sentences with particles and pronouns.

1

I had the flu, but I got _______ over it _______ a couple of days ago.

2

I was wearing gloves. I took ___________ before I shook hands with Mr. Lee.

3

Stacy needed to find the date India became independent. She looked ___________ on the computer and wrote ___________ in her notebook.

4

I tried to solve the math problem, but I couldn't figure ___________.

5

It looked like rain, so I got my raincoat from the closet and put ___________ before I left the apartment.

6

A: Have you seen Dan this morning?

B: Not this morning. I ran ___________ at the movie last night.

7

A: Why do you look so worried?

B: I don't have my homework. My mother threw ___________ with the trash this morning. If Ms. Anthony calls ___________ in class to answer homework questions, I'll have to tell her what happened.

A: She'll never believe your story. She'll think you made ___________.

8

A: Miss Smith, our supply room is out of pencils again. Why are we always running out of pencils? What is the problem?

B: I don't know, sir. I'll look ___________ right away.

 

EXERCISE 9. Review: phrasal verbs.

Directions: Work in pairs.

Speaker A: Read the cue. Your book is open.

Speaker B: Finish Speaker A's sentence. Your book is closed.

Example:

SPEAKER A (book open): Yesterday I cleaned my closet. I found an old pair of shoes that I don't wear anymore. I didn't keep the shoes. I threw....

SPEAKER B (book closed): ... them away/out.

1

The teacher gave us some important information in class yesterday. I didn't want to forget it, so I wrote ……..

2

When I raised my hand in class, the teacher called ……..

3

I was carrying a suitcase, but it was too heavy, so I put ……..

4

I didn't know the meaning of a word, so I looked ……..

5

I haven't finished my work. I’ll do it later. I'm going to put ……..

6

The lights were off in the dark room, so I turned ……..

7

(...) isn't wearing his/her hat right now. When s/he got to class, s/he took ……..

8

My pen just fell on the floor. Could you please pick ……..?

Switch roles

9

I saw (...) at a concert last night. 1 was surprised when 1 ran ……..

10

When you finish using a stove, you should always be careful to turn ……..

11

When I finished my test, I handed ……..

12

Is (...) sleeping?! Would you please wake ……..?

13

What's the answer to this problem? Have you figured ……..?

14

I don't need this piece of paper anymore. I'm going to throw ……..

15

I had the flu last week, but now I'm okay. I got ……..

16

I told a story that wasn't true. I made ……..

Switch roles

17

Name some means of transportation that you get on.

18

Name some that you get in.

19

Name some that you get off.

Switch roles

20

Name some that you get out of.

21

Name some things that you turn on.

22

Name some things that you turn off.

ANSWER KEY

EXERCISE 8


EXERCISE 9


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments