Friday 23 October 2020

CHAPTER 13. GERUNDS AND INFINITIVES (11) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 

FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CHAPTER 13. GERUNDS AND INFINITIVES

 

EXERCISE 12. Gerunds vs. infinitives.

Directions: Complete the sentences with the correct form, gerund or infinitive, of the words in parentheses.

A:

Have you made any vacation plans?

B:

I was hoping (go) _______ to go _____ (1) to an island off the Atlantic coast, but my wife wanted (drive) _______________ (2) down the Pacific coast. We've decided (compromise) _______________ (3) by going to neither coast. We've agreed (find) _______________ (4) a place where both of us want (go) _______________ (5).

A:

So where are you going?

B:

Well, we've been considering (go) _______________ (6) (fish) _______________ (7) in Canada. We've also discussed (take) _______________ (8) a train across central and western Canada. We've also been talking about (rent) _______________ (9) a sailboat and (go) _______________ (10) (sail) _______________ (11) in the Gulf of Mexico.

A:

Have you ever thought about (stay) _______________ (12) home and (relax) _______________ (13)?

B:

That's not a vacation to me. If I stay home during my vacation, I always end up doing all the chores around the house that I've put off (do) _______________ (14) for the past year. When I go on a holiday, I like (visit) _______________ (15) new places and (do) _______________ (16) new things. I enjoy (see) _______________ (17) parts of the world I've never seen before.

A:

What place would you like (visit) _______________ (18) the most?

B:

I'd love (go) _______________ (19) (camp) _______________ (20) in New Zealand. My wife loves (camp) _______________ (21) in new places too, but I'm afraid she might refuse (go) _______________ (22) to New Zealand. She doesn't like long plane flights.

A:

Why don't you just pick a spot on a map? Then call and make a hotel reservation.

B:

Neither of us can stand (spend) _______________ (23) two whole weeks at a luxury hotel. I don't mean (say) _______________ (24) anything bad about big hotels, but both of us seem (like) _______________ (25) more adventurous vacations.

A:

Well, keep (think) _______________ (26) about it. I'm sure you'll figure out a really great place for your vacation.

B:

We'll have to stop (think) _______________ (27) about it sometime soon and make a decision.

A:

I can't wait (find) _______________ (28) out where you decide (go) _______________ (29). I'll expect (hear) _______________ (30) from you when you make a decision. Don't forget (call) _______________ (31) me.

B:

Hmmm. Maybe we should go (ski) _______________ (32) in Switzerland. Or perhaps we could go (waterski) _______________ (33) on the Nile. Then there's the possibility of going (hike) _______________ (34) in the Andes. Of course, we'd probably enjoy (swim) _______________ (35) off the Great Barrier Reef of Australia. And we shouldn't postpone (explore) _______________ (36) the Brazilian rainforest much longer. Someday I'd really like (climb) _______________ (37) to the top of an active volcano and (look) _______________ (38) inside the crater. Or maybe we could …….

 


ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments