Monday 26 October 2020

CHAPTER 14. NOUN CLAUSES (24) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 

FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CHAPTER 14. NOUN CLAUSES

 

EXERCISE 31. SAY vs. TELL vs. ASK.

Directions: Use said, told, and asked in reported speech. Work in groups or as a class.

Speaker A: Choose a sentence at random from the list and whisper it to B.

Speaker B: Report what Speaker A said. Use either informal or formal verb forms in the noun clause, as you prefer.*

Example:

SPEAKER A: I need to talk to you after class. (whispered to B)

SPBAKER B: Ali told me/said he needed to talk to me after class. (reported aloud)

 

I'll call you tomorrow.

Can you hear what I'm saying?

√ I need to talk to you after class.

I'm getting hungry.

I walked to school this morning

Your pronunciation is very good.

What kind of food do you like best?

Is (name of a person) married?

How long have you been married?

Do you think it's going to rain

Are you going to be at home tonight?

Have you ever met (name of a person)?

What are you going to do after class today!

I'll meet you after class for a cup of coffee.

I'm not going to be in class tomorrow.

Have you seen (name of a current movie)?

I've already seen (name of a current movie).

Can you speak (name of a language)?

Do you know how to cook (name of a dish)?

Are you going to take another English class?

 

EXERCISE 32. Noun clauses and questions.

Directions: Create questions, then report them using noun clauses.

Student A: Write five questions you want to ask Student B about his/her life or opinions. Sign your name. Hand the questions to Student B.

Student B: Report what Student A wants to how. Make your report orally to the class (or to a smaller group) or in writing. Provide the information if you can or want to.

Example:

Student A's list of questions:

1

Where were you born?

2

What is your favorite color?

3

What do you think about the recent election in your country?

4

Who do you admire most in the world?

Student B's report:

1

(Student A) wants to know where I was born. I was born in (Caracas).

2

He/ She asked me what my favorite color is/ was. Blue, I guess.

3

He/ She wants to know what I think about the recent election in my country. I'm very pleased about the election. The new leader will be good for my country.

4

He/ She wants to know who I admire most in the world. I'll have to think about that. Probably my parents.


ANSWER KEY

EXERCISE 31&32

(YOUR OWN RESPONSES)

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments