Monday 26 October 2020

CHAPTER 14. NOUN CLAUSES (15) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 

FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CHAPTER 14. NOUN CLAUSES

 

EXERCISE 19. THAT-clauses.

Directions: Complete the sentences. Use any appropriate verb form in the that-clause. (Notice the various verb forms used in the example.) Omit that if you wish.

Example: I'm glad that . . . .

the weather is nice.

Sam is going to finish school.

I can speak English.

1

I'm pleased that …………..

8

I’m afraid that …………..*

2

I'm sure that …………..

9

Are you aware that …………..?

3

I'm surprised that …………..

10

I'm disappointed that …………..

4

Are you certain that …………..?

11

I'm convinced that …………..

5

I'm very happy that …………..

12

Is it true that …………..?

6

I'm sorry that …………..

13

It is a fact that …………..

7

I’m not sorry that …………..

14

It’s not true that …………..


EXERCISE 20. THAT-clauses.

Directions: What are your views on the following topics? Introduce your opinion with an expression from the given list, then state your opinion in a that-clause. Discuss your opinions in groups, as a class, or in writing.

Example: guns

I believe that ordinary people shouldn't have guns in their homes.

I think anyone should be able to have any kind of gun.

I have concluded that countries in which it is easy to get a gun have a higher rate of murder than other countries do.

am certain that

believe that

hope that

am convinced that

can prove that

predict that

am sure that

have concluded that

think that

 

1

smoking (cigarettes, cigars, pipes)

2

a controversy at your school (perhaps something that has been on the front pages of a student newspaper)

3

a recent political went in the world (something that has been on the front pages of the newspaper)

4

the importance of protecting the environment

5

freedom of the press vs. government-controlled news

6

solutions to world hunger

ANSWER KEY

EXERCISE 19

(YOUR OWN RESPONSES)

EXERCISE 20


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments