Monday 5 October 2020

CHAPTER 1. PRESENT TIME (21) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 

FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CHAPTER 1. PRESENT TIME


EXERCISE 19. Progressive verbs vs. non-action verbs.

Directions: Complete the sentences with the words in parentheses. Use the simple present or the present progressive.

1

Right now I (look) ______ am looking _____ at the board. I (see) ___________ some words on the board.

2

A: (you, need) ___________ some help, Mrs. Brown?

(you, want) ___________ me to carry that box for you?

B: Yes, thank you. That's very kind of you.

3

A. Who is that man? I (think) ___________ that I (know) ___________ him, but I (forget) ___________ his name.

B: That's Mr. Martinez.

A: That's right! I (remember) ___________ him now.

4

A: (you, believe) ___________ in flying saucers?

B: What (you, talk) ___________ about?

A: You know, spaceships from outer space with alien creatures aboard.

B: In my opinion, flying saucers (exist) ___________ only in people's imaginations.

5

Right now the children (be) ___________ at the beach. They (have) ___________ a good time. They (have) ___________ a beach ball, and they (play) ___________ catch with it. They (like) ___________ to play catch. Their parents (sunbathe) ___________ They (try) ___________ to get a tan. They (listen) ___________ to music on a radio. They also (hear) ___________ the sound of seagulls and the sound of the waves.

6

A: What (you, think) ___________ about right now?

B: I (think) ___________ about seagulls and waves.

A: (you, like) ___________ seagulls?

B: Yes. I (think) ___________ seagulls are interesting birds.

7

A: Which color (you, prefer) ___________,red or blue?

B: I (like) ___________ blue better than red. Why?

A: I (read) ___________ a magazine article right now. According to the article, people who (prefer) ___________ blue to red (be) ___________ calm and (value) ___________ honesty and loyalty in their Wends. A preference for red (mean) ___________ that a person (be) ___________ aggressive and (love) ___________ excitement.

B: Oh? That (sound) ___________ like a bunch of nonsense to me.

8

A: Does the earth turn around and around?

B: Yes, Jimmy. The earth (spin) ___________ around and around on its axis as it circles the sun. The earth (spin)

___________ rapidly at this very moment.

B: Really? I can't feel it moving. (you, try) ___________ to fool me?

A: Of course not! (you, think, really) ___________ that the earth isn't moving?

B: I guess so. Yes. I can't see it move. Yes. It isn't moving.

A: (you, believe) ___________ only those things that you can see? Look at the trees out the window. All of them (grow) ___________ at this very moment, but you can't see the growth. They (get) ___________ bigger and bigger with every second that passes. You can't see the trees grow, and you can't feel the earth spin, but both events (take) ___________ place at this moment while you and I (speak) ___________.

B: Really? How do you know?

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments