Monday 5 October 2020

CHAPTER 1. PRESENT TIME (13) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR WORKBOOK

 

FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

WORKBOOK

CHAPTER 1. PRESENT TIME

PRACTICE 19-SELFSTUDY: Present verbs.

Directions: Use either the SIMPLE PRESENT or the PRESENT PROGRESSIVE of the verbs in the parentheses.

1

It (be) _____ is _______ a cool autumn day. The wind (blow) ____ is blowing ________ and the leaves (fall) ____ are falling ________ to the ground.

2

My roommate (eat) ____________ breakfast at exactly seven o’clock every morning. I usually (eat, not) ____________ breakfast at all. What time (eat, you) ____________ in the morning?

3

A: (shop, you) ____________ at this store every week?

B: No, I  ____________. I (shop, usually) ____________ at the store near my apartment.

A: Why (shop, you) ____________ here now?

B: I (try) ____________ to find something special for my father’s birthday.

4

A: Flowers! Flowers for sale! Yes sir! Can I help you?

B: I’ll take those – the yellow ones.

A: Here you are, mister. Are they for a special occasion?

B: I (buy) ____________ them for my wife. (buy) ____________ her flowers on the first day of the month.

5

A: I like to read. How about you? (read, you) ____________ a lot?

B: Yes, I ____________. I (read) ____________ at least one novel each week, and I (subscribe) ____________ to several magazines. And I always (look) ____________ at the newspaper during breakfast.

6

A: Knock, Knock! Anybody home? Hey Bill! Hi! It’s me. Where are you?

B: I (be) ____________ in the bedroom.

A: What are you doing?*

B: I (try) ____________ to sleep!

A: Oh. Sorry! I won’t bother you. Tom, shhh. Bill (rest) ____________.

7

Before you begin to study, you should ask yourself two questions. First, “Why (study, I) ____________ this subject right now?” Second, “What (want, I) ____________ to learn about this topic?” Students (need) ____________ to understand the purpose of their study.

8

In cold climates, many trees (lose) ____________ their lives in winter. They (rest) ____________ for several months. Then they (grow) ____________ new leaves and flowers in the spring. Some trees (keep) ____________ their leaves during the winter and (stay) ____________ green all year long. In some regions of the earth, trees (grow, not) ____________ at all. For example, some desert areas (have, not) ____________ any trees. (grow, trees) ____________ on all of the continents in the world?**


 

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments