Tuesday 6 October 2020

CHAPTER 3. FUTURE TIME (2) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 

FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CHAPTER 3. FUTURE TIME

 

EXPRESSING FUTURE TIME: BE GOING TO AND WILL


 

FORMS WITH BE GOING TO


EXERCISE 2. BE GOINGTO.

Directions: Complete the sentences with be going to and the words in parentheses.

1

A: What (you, do) _______ are you going to do ______ this afternoon?

B: I (work) _______ am going to work _______ on my report.

2

A: Where (Alex, be) ________________ later tonight?

B: He (be) ________________ at Kim's house.

3

A: (you, finish) ________________ this exercise soon?

B: Yes, I (finish) ________________ it in less than a minute.

4

A: When (you, call) ________________ your sister?

B: I (call, not) ________________ her. I (send) ________________ her an e-mail.

5

A: What (Dr. Price, talk) ________________ about in her speech tonight?

B: She (discuss) ________________ the economy of Southeast Asia.

EXERCISE 3. BE GOINGTO.

Directions: Pair up with a classmate. Use be going to to talk about plans and intentions.

 (NOTE: you may wish to practice saying "gonna," but also practice enunciating the full form.)

Speaker A: Ask a question using be going to and the given words. Your book is open.

Speaker B: Answer the question in a complete sentence, using be going to. Your book is closed.

 

Example: What ...do next Monday?

SPEAKER A (book open): What are you going to do next Monday?

SPEAKER B (book closed): I'm going to go to my classes as usual.

 

Example: watch TV tonight?

SPEAKER A (book open): Are you going to watch TV tonight?

SPEAKER B (book closed): Yes, I'm going to watch TV tonight. OR No, I'm not going to watch TV tonight.

1

where ___________ go after your last class today?

2

have pizza for dinner tonight?

3

what ___________.do this evening?

4

when ___________ visit my hometown?

5

visit ___________ sometime in the future?

6

what. ___________ do this coming Saturday?

Switch roles.

7

what time ___________ go to bed tonight?

8

what ___________ wear tomorrow?

9

wear your ___________ tomorrow too?

10

how long ___________ stay in this city?

11

take a trip sometime this year or next?

12

where ___________ go and what ___________ do?

 

EXERCISE4. Review of verb forms: past, present, and future.

Directions: Complete the dialogue with your own words. The dialogue reviews the forms (statement, negative, question, short answer) of the simple present, simple past, and be going to.

Example:

A: I hitchhiked to school yesterday.

B: Oh? That's interesting. Do you hitchhike to school every day?

A: Yes, I do. I hitchhike to school every day.

B: Do you also hitchhike home every day?

A: No, I don't. Etc.

1

A: I ______________ yesterday.

2

B: Oh? That's interesting. ______________ you ______________ every day?

3

A: Yes, I ______________. I ______________ every day.

4

B: ______________ you also ______________ every day?

5

A: No, I______________. I ______________ every day.

6

B: ______________ you ______________ yesterday?

7

A: Yes, I______________. I ______________ yesterday.

8

B: ______________ you also ______________ yesterday?

9

A: No, I ______________. I ______________ yesterday.

10

B: _____Are ____ you ______________ tomorrow?

11

A: Yes, I ______________. I ______________ tomorrow.

12

B: ______________ you also ______________ tomorrow?

13

A: No, I ______________. I ______________ tomorrow.

 

ANSWER KEY

EXERCISE 2


 

EXERCISE 3


 

EXERCISE 4


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments