Thursday 8 October 2020

CHAPTER 4. THE PRESENT PERFECT AND THE PAST PERFECT (17) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 

                    FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CHAPTER 4. THE PRESENT PERFECT AND THE PAST PERFECT

.

EXERCISE 30. Review of verb tenses.

Directions: Complete the sentences with the words in parentheses.

1

A: (you, have) _____ Do you have _____ any plans for vacation?

B: Yes, I do. I (plan) ____ am planning ____ to go to Toronto.

A: (you, be, ever) ____________ there before?

B: Yes, I have. I (be) ____________ in Toronto two months ago. My brother (live) ____________ there, so I (go) ____________ there often.

2

A: Where's Jessica?

B: She (study) ____________ at the library.

A: When (she, get) ____________ back home?

B: In an hour or so. Probably around five o'clock.

A: How long (she, study) ____________ at the library?

B: Since two o'clock this afternoon.

A: (she, study) ____________ at the library every day?

B: Not every day, but often.

3

A: Shhh. Irene (talk) ____________ on the phone long-distance.

B: Who (she, talk) ____________ to?

A: Her brother. They (talk) ____________ for almost an hour. I think her brother is in some kind of trouble.

B: That's too bad. I hope it's nothing serious.

4

A: (you, know) ____________ Abdullah's new address?

B: Not off the top of my head. But I (have) ____________ it at home in my computer. When I (get) ____________ home this evening, I (call) ____________ and (give) ____________ you his address.

A: Thanks. Or you could e-mail it to me.

 B: Okay. I (do) ____________ that.

5

A: Where's Juan? He (be) ____________ absent from class for the last three days. (anyone, see) ____________ him lately?

B: I have. I (see) ____________ him yesterday. He has a bad cold, so he (be) home in bed since the weekend. He (be, probably) ____________ back in class tomorrow.

6

A: How long (you, wear) ____________ glasses?

B: Since I (be) ____________ ten years old.

A: (you, be) ____________  nearsighted or farsighted?

B: Nearsighted.

7

A: Let's go to a restaurant tonight.

B: Okay. Where should we go?

A: (you, like) ____________ Thai food?

B: I don't know. I (eat, never) ____________ any. What's it like?

A: It's delicious, but it can be pretty hot!

B: That's okay. I (love) really hot food.

A: There (be) ____________ a Thai restaurant downtown. I (go) ____________ there a couple of times. The food is excellent.

B: Sounds good. I (be, never) ____________ to a Thai restaurant, so it (be) ____________ a new experience for me. After we (get) ____________ there, can you explain the menu to me?

A: Sure. And if I can't, our waiter or waitress can.

8

A: (you, smoke) ____________?

B: Yes, I do.

A: How long (you, smoke) ____________?

B: Well, let me see. I (smoke) ____________ since I (be) ____________ seventeen. So I (smoke) ____________ for almost four years.

A: Why (you, start) ____________?

B: Because I (be) ____________ a dumb, stupid kid.

A: (you, want) ____________ to quit?

B: Yes. I (plan) ____________ to quit very soon. In fact, I (decide) ____________ to quit on my next birthday. My twenty-first birthday is two weeks from now. On that day, I (intend) ____________ to smoke my last cigarette.

A: That's terrific! You (feel) ____________ much better after you (stop) ____________ smoking.

B: (you, smoke, ever) ____________?

A: No, I haven't. I (smoke, never) ____________ a cigarette in my life. When I (be) ____________ ten years old, I (smoke) ____________ one of my uncle's cigars. My sister and I (steal) ____________ a couple of his cigars and (go) ____________ behind the garage to smoke them. Both of us (get) ____________ sick. I (have, not) anything to smoke since then.

B: That's smart. .

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments