Thursday 8 October 2020

CHAPTER 4. THE PRESENT PERFECT AND THE PAST PERFECT (16) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 

                    FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CHAPTER 4. THE PRESENT PERFECT AND THE PAST PERFECT

.

EXERCISE 27. ALREADY, YET, STILL, ANYMORE.

Directions: Complete the sentences with your own words.

Example:

 I ... not ... because I've already …

I'm not hungry because I've already eaten. OR

I'm not going to go to the movie because I’ve already seen it. oh

I don't have to take the English test because I've already taken it.

1

I used to ______ but ______ anymore.

2

I can't ______ because I haven't ______ yet.

3

Are ______ still______?

4

______ because I've already ______

5

I don’t ______ anymore, but ______ still ______.

 

EXERCISE 28. Verb tense review.

Directions: Compare the different meanings of the verb tenses. Identify which sentences express duration.

1

a. Rachel is taking English classes.

b. Nadia has been taking English classes for two months.

2

a. Ann has been in Jerusalem for two years. She likes it there.

b. Sue has been in Jerusalem. She's also been in Paris. She’s been in New York and Tokyo. She's been in lots of cities. She travels a lot.

3

a. Jack has visited  his aunt and uncle many times.

b. Man has been visiting his aunt and uncle for the last three day

4

.a. Jack is talking on the phone.

b. Jack talks on the phone a lot.

c. Jack has been talking to his boss on the phone for half an hour.

d. Jack has talked to his boss on the phone lots of times

5

.a. Mr.Woods walks his dog in Forest Park every day.

b. Mr. Woods has walked his dog in Forest Park many times.

c. Mr.Woods walked his dog in Forest Park five times last week.

d. Mr.Woods is walking his dog in Forest Park right now.

e. Mr.Woods has been walking his dog in Forest Park since two o'clock.

EXERCISE 29. Verb tenses.

Directions: Make sentences about your life using the simple past, present perfect, or present perfect progressive.

Example: for the last two weeks

I’ve had a cold for the last two weeks.

1

since I was a child

7

since last Tuesday

2

for a long time

8

for a number of years

3

two years ago

9

a week ago today

4

so far today

10

for the last ten minutes

5

many times in my lifetime

11

already ..., but ... yet

6

never

12

still ..., but ... anymore

 

ANSWER KEY

EXERCISE 27


EXERCISE 28


EXERCISE 29

(YOUR OWN RESPONSES)

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments