Wednesday 7 October 2020

CHAPTER 4. THE PRESENT PERFECT AND THE PAST PERFECT (5) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 

FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CHAPTER 4. THE PRESENT PERFECT AND THE PAST PERFECT

 

SIMPLE PAST vs. PRESENT PERFECT

 

EXERCISE 5. Simple past vs. present perfect.

Directions: Discuss the meanings of the verb tenses.

1

All of the verbs in the following talk about past time, but the verb in (a) is different from the other three verbs. What is the difference?

(a) I have had several bicycles in my lifetime.

(b) I had a red bicycle when I was in elementary school.

(c) I had a blue bicycle when I was a teenager.

(d) I had a green bicycle when I lived and worked in Hong Kong.

2

What are the differences in the ideas the verb tenses express?

(e) I had a wonderful bicycle last year.

(f) I’ve had many wonderful bicycles.

3

What are the differences in the ideas the verb tenses express?

(g) Ann had a red bike for two years.

(h) Sue has had a red bike for two years.

4

Who is still alive, and who is dead?

(i) In his lifetime, Uncle Alex had several red bicycles.

(j) In his lifetime, Grandpa has had several red bicycles.

EXERCISE 6. Simple past vs. present perfect.

Directions: Look at the verb in italics. Is it simple past, or is it present perfect? Check the box that describes whether the verb expresses something that happened at a specified time in the past or at an unspecified time in the past.

Specified time in the past

Unspecified time in the past

 

 

X

1

Ms. Parker has been in Tokyo many times. ( present perfect)

X

 

2

Ms. Parker was in Tokyo last week. ( simple past)

 

 

3

I've met Ann's husband. He's a nice guy.

 

 

4

I met Ann's husband at a party last week.

 

 

5

Mr. White was in Rome three times last month.

 

 

6

Mr. White has been in Rome many times.

 

 

7

I like to travel. I've been in more than thirty foreign countries.

 

 

8

I was in Morocco in 2001.

 

 

9

Mary has never been in Morocco.

 

 

10

Mary wasn't in Morocco when I was there in 2001.

ANSWER KEY

EXERCISE 5


EXERCISE 6


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments