Tuesday 6 October 2020

CHAPTER 2. PAST TIME (12) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 

FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CHAPTER 2. PAST TIME

EXERCISE 23. Past time clauses.

Directions: Complete the sentences using the words in parentheses. Use the simple past or the past progressive. Identify the time clauses.

1

My mother called me around 5:OO. My husband came home a little after that.

(When he (come) ____ came ___ home,) I (talk) _____ was talking _____ to my mother on the phone.

2

I (buy) __________ a small gift before I (go) __________ to the hospital yesterday to visit my friend.

3

Yesterday afternoon I (go) __________ to visit the Smith family. When I (get) __________ there around two o'clock, Mrs. Smith (be) __________ in the yard. She (plant) __________ flowers in her garden. Mr. Smith (be) __________ in the garage. He (work) __________ on their car. He (change) __________ the oil. The children (play) __________ in the front yard. In other words, while Mr. Smith (change) __________ the oil in the car, the children (play) __________ with a ball in the yard.


4

I (hit) __________ my thumb while I (use) __________ the hammer. Ouch! That (hurt) __________.

5

As soon as we (hear) __________ the news of the approaching hurricane, we (begin) __________ our preparations for the storm.

6

It was a long walk home. Mr. Chu (walk) __________ until he (get) __________ tired. Then he (stop) __________ and (rest) __________ until he (be) __________ strong enough to continue

7

While I (lie) __________ in bed last night, I (hear) __________ a strange noise. When I (hear) __________ this strange noise, I (turn) __________ on the light. I (hold) __________ my breath and (listen) __________ carefully. A mouse (chew) __________ on something under the floor.

8

I work at a computer all day long. Yesterday while I (look) __________ at my computer screen, I (start) __________ to feel a little dizzy, so I (take) __________ a break. While I (take) __________ a short break outdoors and (enjoy) __________ the warmth of the sun on my face, an elderly gentleman (come) __________ up to me and (ask) __________ me for directions to the public library. After I (tell) __________ him how to get there, he (thank) __________ me and (go) __________ on his way. I (stay) __________ outside until a big cloud (come) __________ and (cover) __________ the sun, and then I reluctantly (go) back inside to work. As soon as I (return) __________ to my desk, I (notice) __________ that my computer (make) __________ a funny noise. It (hum) __________ loudly, and my screen was frozen. I (think) __________ for a moment, then I (shut) __________ my computer off, (get) __________ up from my desk, and (leave) __________. I (spend) __________ the rest of the day in the sunshine.

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments