Thursday 8 October 2020

CHAPTER 4. THE PRESENT PERFECT AND THE PAST PERFECT (21) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 

                    FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CHAPTER 4. THE PRESENT PERFECT AND THE PAST PERFECT

EXERCISE 36. Present perfect VS. past perfect.

Directions: Complete the sentences with the present perfect or the past perfect form of the verb in parentheses.

1

A: Oh no! We're too late. The train (leave, already) _____ has already left _______.

B: That's okay. We'll catch the next train to Athens.

2

Last Thursday, we went to the station to catch a train to Athens, but we were too late. The train (leave, already) ______ had already left _______.

3

A: Go back to sleep. It's only six o'clock in the morning.

B: I'm not sleepy. I (sleep, already) _____________ for eight hours. I'm going to get up.

4

I woke up at six this morning, but I couldn't get back to sleep. I wasn't sleepy. I (sleep, already) _____________ for eight hours.

5

A: 1'11 introduce you to Professor Newton at the meeting tonight.

B: You don't need to. I (meet, already) _____________ him

6

Jack offered to introduce me to Professor Newton, but it wasn't necessary. I (meet, already) _____________ him.

7

A: Do you want to go to the movie tonight?

B: What are you going to see?

A: Distant Drums.

B: I (see, already) _____________ it. Thanks anyway.

8

I didn't go to the movie with Francisco last Tuesday night. I (see, already) _____________ it.

9

A: Jane? Jane! Is that you? How are you? I haven't seen you for ages!

B: Excuse me? Are you talking to me?

A: Oh. You're not Jane. I'm sorry. It is clear that I (make) _____________ a mistake. Please excuse me.

10

Yesterday I approached a stranger who looked like Jane Moore and started talking to her. But she wasn't Jane. It was clear that I (make) _____________ a mistake. I was really embarrassed.

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments