Thursday 8 October 2020

CHAPTER 4. THE PRESENT PERFECT AND THE PAST PERFECT (22) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 

                    FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CHAPTER 4. THE PRESENT PERFECT AND THE PAST PERFECT

EXERCISE 37. Past progressive vs. past perfect.

Directions: Circle the correct completion.

1

Amanda didn't need to study the multiplication tables in fifth grade. She ___________ them.

A

was learning

B√

had already learned

2

I enjoyed visiting Tommy's class. It was an arithmetic class. The students ___________ their multiplication tables.

A

were learning

B

had already learned

3

While I ___________ up the mountain, I got tired. But I didn't stop until I reached the top.

A

was walking

B

had walked

4

I was very tired when I got to the top of the mountain. I ___________ a long distance.

A

was walking

B

had walked

5

I knocked. No one answered. I turned the handle and pulled sharply on the door, but it did not open. Someone ___________ it.

A

was locking

B

had locked

6

"Where were you when the earthquake occurred?"

"In my office. I ___________ to my assistant. We were working on a report."

A

was talking

B

had already talked

7

"Ahmed's house was destroyed in the earthquake."

"I know! It's lucky that he and his family ___________ for his parents' home before the earthquake struck."

A

were leaving

B

had already left

8

We drove two hundred miles to see the circus in Kansas City. When we got there, we couldn't find the circus. It ___________ town. We ___________ all the way to Kansas City for nothing.

A

was leaving …… were driving

C

was leaving…… had driven

B

had left …… had driven

D

had left …… were driving

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments