Thursday 8 October 2020

CHAPTER 4. PRESENT PERFECT AND THE PAST PERFECT (20) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 

                    FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CHAPTER 4. THE PRESENT PERFECT AND THE PAST PERFECT

.

PAST PERFECT


 

PAST PERFECT – (continued)


EXERCISE 35. Past perfect.

Directions: Identify which action took place first (1st) in the past and which action took place second (2nd).

1

The tennis player jumped in the air for joy. She had won the match.

a. ____ 1st _______ The tennis player won the match.

b. ____ 2nd _______ The tennis player jumped in the air.

2

Before I went to bed, I checked the front door. My roommate had already locked it.

a. ____ 2nd _______ I checked the door.

b. ____ 1st _______ My roommate locked the door.

3

I looked for Bob, but he had left the building.

a. ____________ Bob left the building.

b. ____________ 1 looked for Bob.

4

I laughed when I saw my son. He had poured a bowl of noodles on top of his head.

a. ____________ I laughed.

b. ____________ My son poured a bowl of noodles on his head.

5

Oliver arrived at the theater on time, but he couldn't get in. He had left his ticket at home.

a. ____________ Oliver left his ticket at home.

b. ____________ Oliver arrived at the theater.

6

I handed Betsy the newspaper, but she didn't want it. She had read it during her lunch hour.

a. ____________ I handed Betsy the newspaper.

b. ____________ Betsy read the newspaper.

7

After Carl arrived in New York, he called his mother. He had promised to call her as soon as he got in.

a. ____________ Carl made a promise to his mother.

b. ____________ Carl called his mother.

8

Stella was alone in a strange city. She walked down the avenue slowly, looking in shop windows. Suddenly, she turned her head and looked behind her. Someone had called her name.

a. ____________ Stella turned her head and looked behind her.

b. ____________ Someone called her name.

 

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments