Thursday 8 October 2020

CHAPTER 4. THE PRESENT PERFECT AND THE PAST PERFECT (24) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 

                    FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CHAPTER 4. THE PRESENT PERFECT AND THE PAST PERFECT

.                                     

EXERCISE 39. Verb tense review.

Directions: Circle the correct completion.

Example:

I can't come with you. I need to stay here. I for a phone call.

A

wait

C√

am waiting

B

will wait

D

have waited

 

1

I __________ my glasses three times so far this year. One time I dropped them on a cement floor. Another time I sat on them. And this time I stepped on them.

A

broke

C

have broken

B

was breaking

D

have been breaking

2

Kate reached to the floor and picked up her glasses. They were broken. She __________ on them.

A

stepped

C

was stepping

B

had stepped

D

has stepped

3

Sarah gets angry easily. She __________ a bad temper ever since she was a child.

A

has

C

had

B

will have

D

has had

4

Now, whenever Sarah starts to lose her temper, she __________ a deep breath and __________ to ten.

A

takes . . . counts

C

took .. . counted

B

has taken .. . counted

D

is taking . . .counting

5

Nicky, please don't interrupt me. I __________ to Grandma on the phone. Go play with your trucks so we can finish our conversation.

A

talk

C

am talking

B

have talked

D

have been talking

6

We __________ at a hotel in Miami when the hurricane hit southern Florida last month. As soon as the hurricane moved out of the area, we left and went back home.

A

had stayed

C

were staying

B

stay

D

stayed

7

Now listen carefully. When Aunt Martha __________ tomorrow, give her a big hug.

A

arrives

C

arrived

B

will arrive

D

is going to arrive

8

My cousin __________ with me in my apartment for the last two weeks. I'm ready for him to leave, but he seems to want to stay forever. Maybe I should ask him to leave.

A

is staying

C

was staying

B

stayed

D

has been staying

9

Mrs. Larsen discovered a bird in her apartment. It was in her living mom. It __________ into her apartment through an open window.

A

was flying

C

has flown

B

had flown

D

was flown

10

The phone rang, so I __________ it up and __________ hello.

A

picked … had said

C

was picking ... said

B

picked ..  said

D

was picking .. had said

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments