Friday 9 October 2020

CHAPTER 4. THE PRESENT PERFECT AND THE PAST PERFECT (25) FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 

                     FUNDAMENTAL OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR

CHAPTER 4. THE PRESENT PERFECT AND THE PAST PERFECT

.                                 

EXERCISE 40. Verb tense review. (Chapters 1- 4)

Directions: Circle the correct completion.

Example

I can't come with you. I need to stay here. I ___________ for a phone call.

A

wait

C√

am waiting

B

will wait

D

have waited

 

1

My mother began to drive cars when she was fourteen. Now she is eighty-nine, and she still drives. She ___________ cars for seventy-five years.

A

was driving

C

drove

B

drives

D

has been driving

2

In every culture, people ___________ jewelry since prehistoric times.

A

wear

C

have worn

B

wore

D

had worn

3

It ___________ when I left the house this morning, so I opened my umbrella

A

rained

C

is raining

B

had rained

D

was raining

4

Australian koala bears are interesting animals. They ___________ practically their entire lives in trees without ever coming down to the ground.

A

are spending

C

have spent

B

have been spending

D

spend

5

The teacher is late today, so class hasn't begun yet. After she ___________ here, class will begin.

A

will get

C

gets

B

is going to get

D

is getting

6

It's raining hard. It ___________ an hour ago and ___________ yet.

A

had started ...doesn't stop

C

started . . .hasn't stopped

B

has started .. .didn't stop

D

was starting . . . isn't stopping

7

Alex's bags are almost ready for his trip. He ___________ for Syria later this afternoon. We'll say good-bye to him before he ___________.

A

left. ..went

C

is leaving. ..goes

B

leaves .. .will go

D

has left . . . will go

8

I heard a slight noise, so I walked to the front door to investigate. I looked down at the floor and saw a piece of paper. Someone ___________ a note under the door to my apartment.

A

had pushed

C

has pushed

B

is pushing

D

pushed

9

I walked slowly through the market. People ___________ all kinds of fruits and vegetables. I studied the prices carefully before I decided what to buy.

A

have sold

C

had sold

B

sell

D

were selling

10

I really like my car. I ___________ it for six years. It runs beautifully.

A

have

C

had

B

have had

D

have been having

ANSWER KEY


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for your nice comments